A Letter to London: Thanks For Your Beauty

I write a letter to London about how aesthetically pleasing it is.

25

Dear London,

Oh, what a city you have been to me. When I entered your humble abode back in January, I have to admit I was very nervous. Would this be my new home away from home? How would I react to living here for the next 3 months? I honestly was not sure what kind of London I was going to discover. No offense to you London, but after reading some Victorian literature in the past, I know that there are many sides to your personality. There is the lovable side that could do no wrong, the strange and uncanny side that mystifies us day in and day out, and then the gruesome side that makes even the perkiest individual run for the hills. I had no idea what I was going to encounter or see, so the only way for me to find out was by walking and exploring.

And boy, did I do that. These past 3 months I have become the ultimate flanuer, if you will. On random days when I had no classes or was not busy with friends, I would sometimes walk along your streets just taking it all in, observing people, places, and the universe around me. I remember one night in early January I was supposed to meet up with my friends to hang out, but they were all busy in one way or another. So, I took it upon myself to walk by myself for the first time. I had never strolled through you at night, so it was the prime opportunity to try it out.

I started at Green Park, walked through the green up to Buckingham Palace, and it was the first time I had seen it up close. It was interesting seeing everyone else in large groups as I was the outsider looking in. I then took a nice long stride towards Big Ben and your gigantic Eye, viewing all the attractions in full gaze. There was one point, as I leaned on the railing looking out into the Thames that another visitor from Canada started to have a conversation with me, and we talked about our first experiences with you. I told him I was studying abroad, and he was really intrigued by that concept. I then recommended the boat tour across the Thames that I did during Orientation, for it was a beautiful view and he was looking for something to do. While he was only visiting for a week, it was a really nice conversation with another flanuer that I will never meet ever again. We both bonded like we were children entering this new world that we don’t really know, thinking about what kind of adventure we will ultimately have along the way.

After this exchange, I started to walk along the South Bank until I found a bench in the park nearby. With the Eye flickering red and people walking to and fro, I was able to just sit in one spot and look at you deeply for the first time. You were a sight to see, let me tell you. I wasn’t sure at first how you would look at night as opposed to the daytime, but seeing all the lights shine from the buildings to the river showed how aesthetically pleasing you could really be. It was really cool to see all the kinds of different and diverse people walking around at night, each with their own individual stories to tell.

It was quite uncanny really, for they were obviously here, but they felt distant because I was in my own little bubble looking at them. Many of the people looked familiar at certain points that I felt like I had seen them from somewhere. In reality, it was just your mythical powers playing tricks on me, giving me doppelgängers of people from back home to confuse me of what truly was real and what was unreal. After a while, because it was January, it started to get chilly, so I headed back. I will always remember that first night with you though, for it allowed me to relax for once and see things from a new perspective.

Since that experience, I have constantly remained a flanuer, walking around as I please. From SOHO to all the way up in Hampstead Heath, there are so many places that you have for others to explore. I’ve enjoyed SOHO for more of the city feel, with shops, stores, and people all around. Hampstead Heath gave a different feel, as it was a time where I could walk alone with nature. You’re amazing as a city, but the many greens that you contain are sometimes overlooked because of how busy and interactive the city life can be. Being able to walk along the trail helped me see the dirtier aspects of you that not that many people want to see. I even got lost at a few points trying to find your impressive hill because the park was so massive in size.

Eventually finding the hill, it was such a sight to see. I was able to see all of you in landscape form, as well as look around at the other people who were gazing at the exact thing I was viewing before. There was a kid and his dad flying a kite, many people sitting on a bench, and many dogs and owners walking along the trail. I have seen so many dogs here in all the parks I have been to, and for that I thank you. Small and large, furry and non-furry -- there are dogs of all kinds and they honestly make my day. Although when I was on Hampstead Heath, there was an incident where two dogs started fighting and I was concerned about their wellbeing. It shows even the prettiest and cutest things can turn dark on a dime. I’m sure you know from experience.

Overall, you have given me an experience of a lifetime, and I can’t thank you enough. I will miss you dearly, but know that you will always be in my thoughts.

Until we cross paths again,

Kyle