A Letter to my Late Dog

A Letter to my Late Dog

A dogs' love for you is unconditional, from the day they meet you until the day they pass on

470
A Letter to my Late Dog
Katelin McClellan

No amount of time that you spent on this Earth ever would have been enough time for me. The sparkle of your face still lives in my memory. Since you have left, things just have not been quite right. To lose my best friend is a concept that is still unsettling to my mind, body, and soul. My heart aches to spend just one more day with you; to take one more ride, to get one more night of snuggles. I’d give anything to have just five more minutes with my fur baby.

It is an understatement when I say I miss you. I miss everything about you, even the little things that I thought were annoying at the time being, I miss those big eyes of yours that could have a conversation with me just by the way they sparkle at each word that was said to you. I miss how you loved to be scratched and how you would back your behind up begging for more. I miss how you would run away from brooms and cuddle up to me when thunderstorms hit like I was your sole protector. I miss how you would bark in the middle of the night to alert me that neighbors were walking down the street, you surely knew how to make me always feel safe and sound. I miss how you would lay on the couch and snore at any hour of the day, regardless of how obnoxiously loud your snores could get. I miss the look of excitement you would get when I asked you if you wanted to go outside it was like Christmas came every single day to you. I miss how you would stick your tail in and just run as fast as you could be reviving the puppy in your soul every single day. I miss how you would play tug of war with me at any moment in time and even let me win once and a while. I miss how you refused to walk outside while it was raining and never liked to take a bath. I miss the way your paws sounded on the floor when you heard your food being put into your dinner bowl. I miss the way that you loved bones, and would spend hours gnawing on one. I miss how you hated squeaky toys and always broke world records on getting the squeakers out of all the stuffed animals. I miss how your fur would shine in the sunlight as you napped in the grass, you truly were an angel on this Earth. The list could keep going but the harsh reality is that I miss every single little thing about you that still lives so vibrantly in my mind.

As much as my heart yearns for you to come back, I do want to thank you for the time I was able to spend with you. Thank you for being a light in my life and my shoulder to lean on. Thank you for listening to all of my problems and giving me all the kisses whenever I was sad. Thank you for never leaving my side when I was sick, you were the best nurse that anyone could ever ask for. Thank you for having a set of eyes that anyone could fall in love with and for loving everyone you met so much. Thank you for simply loving life so much, regardless of what you went through before you were rescued and brought to me. Thank you for showing me that life is a beautiful, priceless gem and to never take it for granted. Thank you for making my family your world and showing us a type of unconditional love that I have never experienced before you. Thank you for being so much more than just a dog, but a part of my heart.

The legacy of you will linger on for the rest of my lifetime, for I will never forget the days that I got to spend with you. Even though it hurts that you are gone, I can rest with a smile on my face knowing that you are no longer in pain. You are resting well now, my beautiful angel. Doggie heaven surely gained a great one when you ran home to their gates. I miss you, I love you, and I cannot wait until the day we will unite again.

Licks and Snuggles,

Your Human