Missing Your Childhood House
Nostalgia

To My Grandma's Former House, You're Still The Home Where My Heart Is

Growing up traveling to my grandma's frequently has made her home a constant sense of comfort and support, and the memories are endless.

127
Ashley Leeds
Ashley Leeds

Dear Grandma's House,

Do you ever smell something and envision it being associated with a certain memory or occasion? Well, I have. I often recall being in your presence when Grandma Belle lived in you. Your old-fashioned Tudor-style brought forth a sense of belonging and family.

I felt instant comfort when I saw you, and I knew I'd be exposed to delicious food and excellent company when I spotted you. I would be filled with glee if I tasted the special scent of colorful, curly pasta cooking in your kitchen, and I miss sitting at your dining room table for holidays.

Having the sunroom was a convenient luxury, and we would sit in a semi-inside and semi-outside location and chat for hours. The secret room in your basement allowed me to feel like a spy and a ninja all at once, and I recall the fun plastic cars that enabled me to feel like a sophisticated driver while whizzing around the basement floors.

Moreover, the special bookcase with the classic children's books that I loved and cherished and only had the opportunity to read at your house will forever be ingrained in my mind. The George and Martha books by James Marshall and Ping the Duck created by Marjorie Flack will be characters that I will always affiliate with you.

I would read these stories over and over again and love them even more each time. I loved going inside my dad's bedroom and seeing his old clothes and memorabilia. I remember playing with his childhood baseball and sleeping on his old rock solid bed when I spent the night.

Sometimes I wonder how you are now that my grandma is in an associated living facility. Are the new owners kind? Do they take care of you and your needs to function as well as possible? Do they spread love and joy throughout your kitchen?

I wish I knew, but I can only hope that all is well. When I drive by you, I long to be inside your walls again. Sometimes I make a special detour in your vicinity when I am in the area just to quickly go by you. You still look beautiful, but something is different.

I know that I should let go of you, but it's difficult. You'll always be in my heart. Thank you for the memories, and thank you for being a home away from home from me. I love you.

Love,

Your Previous Owner's Granddaughter