A Letter To The Friends I Met In College

I couldn't do life without you.

29
Shelby Alldred

I don't feel like this needs a normal introduction like a usual letter, because by the end of this, you'll know who you are.

We've only known each other for about a year now, but as cheesy and corny as it sounds, it's felt like a lifetime. And honest to god, you're probably the best friends I've ever had.

Now, I'm not saying that my childhood best friends aren't just as awesome, but hear me out.

Coming from a very small town, (literally the population was the size of my freshman class) everyone knew everyone. With that being said, everyone knew everyone's business. Everything from if they moved away or what they had for dinner that day.

So, a lot of the time, people knew things about my life before they actually knew me. They knew what they had heard about my dysfunctional parents and my rough childhood, and had a lot of pre-conceived judgement towards me because of it.

But that was not the case when I came to college.

It was like a clean slate.

No one really knew anything about me except for my name. Which was actually great. Because you were my friend because you got to know me as a genuine human being.

You were my friend without having any pre-conceived judgement.

When the things eventually came out about my past and family life, you never once judged. You sat and listened, and continued to treat me the same as you did from day one.

You didn't look at me like I was some broken doll or a charity case, you looked at me like I was just Shelby; which is all I've ever really wanted.

So here's to a big thank you to the people who never once judged or looked at me any differently.

A huge thanks for all of the laughs, late night In-N-Out runs, and binge watching dumb reality T.V shows.

And most of all, thank you for being the best friend I ever could have asked for.

Always,

"Chelby".