A Thank You Letter To My Best Friend, Who Taught Me So Much

I am a true believer that God puts the people he does in your life for a reason, and you may never understand that reason. I understand why my best friend has been put in my life, and I cannot thank her enough for what she has taught me.

1605
Danielle Kobriger

Throughout elementary, middle, and high school I always had friends, I was never alone. I even had two very good friends in high school that I was able to connect with really well. However, I still felt disconnected on some level and I could never quite pin why. When I came to college and met my best friend I understood why. No one understands me quite like she does, in fact, most days she knows me better than I know myself.

If someone would have told me that the girl who lives in the dorm room across the hall from me would become my best friend I would have said BS. Sure enough, here we are a year later, best friends. Here is a thank you letter to the woman who has taught me so much about not only myself but other people and life in general.

Thank you for teaching me I don't need a boy around.

All through middle and high school I alway had a boy around, whether it was a boyfriend or just a guy I was "talking" to there was always someone there. It wasn't that I was unhappy without a guy, there just seemed to always be one involved in my life. My best friend, however, was pretty much the complete opposite. I noticed quite quickly how worry free and independent she was without a guy constantly around and I wanted that. I went from liking to have a guy around to not caring if one was around, I stopped putting a ton of effort into guys. Since the beginning of our friendship I admired how strong of a woman she is, she taught me that it is okay to be completely single, no strings attached. As long as I am happy with myself I have everything I need to become successful.

Thank you for teaching me to calm the F down.

Ever since I was a child I've had a ton of energy, I did not like to sit still and hated when anyone told me to do so. I really thought my energy would fade as I grew up, so did my parents I think, but it never really did. My best friend, once again, is the opposite of me. She is the most mellow person I've ever met in my life. She has taught me to be less anxious, just sit back, wait, and have patience. Good things do come to those who wait. Over the past year, I have calmed down a ton, because of that I have also become a lot less stressed, and I don't worry about things that don't matter nearly as much. Ever since I have met her my life has become much easier in those aspects, and I am so thankful for that.

Thank you for teaching me not to take everything personally.

I am one of those people that used to take every action or word personally. I wouldn't get butt hurt and start crying or anything, but instead, I would wonder what I did or what I said wrong to make a person respond the way they did. My best friend takes pretty much nothing personally. Ever since I have met her I have come to realize people are going to react the way they want regardless of what you do to help the situation, and you cannot take it personally or you are constantly going to be beating yourself up over every little thing. All you can do is handle every situation as tactfully as possible and what they choose to say or do from there is out of your control.

Thank you for teaching me to always give 100%.

Throughout high school, whether it was classes, sports, projects, or just a fun game I would give about 95% effort. I did care, I just never really thought that the extra 5% of effort would ever make a difference in the outcome. When I came to college and met my best friend one of the very first things I learned about her was that no matter what she was doing, she put 100% effort and focus into a task, and you could see how it paid off. Soon I started to put a little more effort into everything I did, from there small, but noticeable changes in my life became apparent. It took time and baby steps but now I also put 100% effort into everything I do. Without my best friend I would still be putting 95% effort into everything, so thank you for making me become a more motivated individual.

My best friend is truly one of that most important, amazing, beautiful, and influential people I have ever had in my life. Without her, I would not be the person I am today what-so-ever. Every day I am able to find myself a little more because she has taught me that as long as you stick to your beliefs and values you will be happy with yourself. Thank you so much for everything you have taught me about myself, other people, and life the past year, and I cannot wait to see what else you have to teach me.