An Open Letter To My Converse

An Open Letter To My Converse

Thank you for providing me with options, because we all know how hard it is for me to decide on one thing.
18

To every single pair of Converse I own, have owned or will ever own:

Thank you all for being there with me through so much. From the very first pair I wore during middle school until they absolutely would not fit me anymore -- that wonderful turquoise blue color -- to the ones I've worn almost every day in college -- the classic black. You go with almost everything, from the chilly days of leggings and sweaters to the hot and sunny days of flowery dresses. Speaking of chilly days, thank you for giving me an excuse to buy cute socks that I know for sure will match at least one of the pairs I own. Thank you for letting me get a few more seconds of sleep every morning because I know that you'll match whatever it is I want to wear.

Thank you for being so easy to clean, but somehow also looking good when you're dirty. I remember when I bought my white Converse that I was worried about them looking disgusting after walking around high school, but you put those worries to rest. Somehow, the dirt that is on people's Converse gives them all a unique character, and mine are no different. That durability is one of the many things I love about you. My white Converse have been on many trips through the washer, and my dark blue ones remember that time that I fell in a stream during a vacation in the mountains and got soaking wet. Thank you for not falling apart afterwards and sticking with me through the tough times of freezing my butt off on that trip.

If there is one thing I would ask of you it's for you to not come untied. PLEASE. I am begging you. Do you know how annoying it is to have to find the exact tightness of the laces where they aren't too loose but not too tight so that I can't slip them on my feet? In the past, it has literally taken me weeks. I know I put you through a lot every day and it probably feels better for you to be gently re-tied every morning instead of yanked on my feet as I'm walking out the door, and I am sorry about that. Life is crazy, though, so I'd appreciate it if you could work with me on this one.

The thing I most thankful for is that you let me to express myself. Thank you for providing me with options, because we all know how hard it is for me to decide on one thing. I am looking forward to all of the wonderful Converse I will own in the future, and those from the past that still hold a special place in my heart. Here's to many more years of rushing around campus, fun days out and long hikes in the woods. Thanks for everything.