A Letter To Black Friday Shoppers From A Retail Worker

Despite common belief - we are actually humans.

12

Dear Black Friday Shopper,

I can see the Christmas spirit in your eyes, as they sparkle with the deals glimmering in the windows. Your tense shopping arm muscles ready to absolutely tear apart every perfectly folded shelf, and every perfectly placed display. I can hear the pure joy in your voice as you yell at us where a certain deal is at.

However, as you tear through that door I realize that the Christmas spirit in your eye is actually craziness with a hint of savagery as you sprint through the store like you are being chased.

You ravage through the store hoping to beat every other person to the deals you studied all Thanksgiving day. You have absolutely no regards for the people around you. Are they even people to you?

A reminder to all Black Friday Shoppers – the retail workers at each store are actually humans.

We aren’t thrilled to be working on a day when everyone is destroying every inch of the store – we have to put it all back together before we can leave.

We don’t know every single detail of every single store in the mall. In fact, I probably won’t even know every sale we are having. I can rarely find a shirt two feet away from me.

We do have families we would rather be spending the holidays with, however we were chosen to spend it in a mall with you instead. We aren’t overly thrilled to be there.

We are there to help you, but you have to realize we won’t lie to you. If we say there isn’t a size, chances are there really isn’t a size. If we say we are sold out – we are sold out. If we say the store is closing – that means it is time to leave.

Reminder to all Black Friday Shoppers – we are humans. We are not meant to chase you around the store with a map to all the deals. We are not meant to be encyclopedias to all things Black Friday. We are not meant to pick up after you – if you drop something or pick something up that you don’t want later, please put it away.

The reality of Black Friday as a retail worker is that after everyone leaves, the store has to be put back together. That means every misplaced shirt has to go back in its correct place. Every sweatshirt has to be refolded, only to be destroyed again. Every sales rack has to be rehung and placed in order. This takes time; time that we would rather be with our families.

So to the Black Friday Shopper – please understand that while you are shopping for future holidays for your loved ones, we are spending it away from ours trying to help you. We will try our best to be helpful, but we are not your personal shoppers or maids. We are humans here to help.