Let's Talk About The Greek Tier System

Let's Talk About The Greek Tier System

We are sisters, brothers, friends, students, leaders, talented, and influential. We are Greek.

4458
Let's Talk About The Greek Tier System
www.theOdysseyOnline.com

If you have ever paid attention to the tier system, listen up.

I once heard someone say, "Whatever the letter, Greeks do it better." While I can definitely say that I LOVE being in a Greek house, the most important part of that statement is "whatever the letter" because it truly doesn't matter which house you're in. We're a Greek Community, not one single house.

When you decide to go Greek, there are so many things that come to mind. You think about the girls you will meet in your future house, the philanthropy of the various houses and all these crazy symbols that seem to mean everything to anyone in Greek Life. You think about the other people you’ll meet, and the doors that will open with the help of all your new connections. And then… you think of the tier system.

If you are familiar with Greek life, then this concept is most likely not new to you. And if you don’t know what it is, then lucky you… you’re one step ahead already because it DOES NOT MATTER.

Recruitment might become overwhelming with various people (that you may or may not know already) trying to teach you about every house, and where you “should” or “shouldn’t” rush.

For some people, it quickly becomes an act of trying to get into the best house, rather than looking for the house that you feel most comfortable and connected in.

The tier system is an irrelevant and non-official placement of importance that every sorority and fraternity has on campus. It is usually based mostly on reputation or who can party the most. As you can see, it isn’t based on anything factual. In fact, the tier system itself only exists because we let it exist.

It also doesn’t include anything relating to the relationships between the members of the house or even their morals/goals. If anything, houses should be ranked on philanthropy and/or their achievements through their respective college/university… but not on who can shotgun the most beers in one sitting.

Tiers attempt to invalidate the fact that fraternity men and sorority women in EVERY house grow and learn with each other, and that is the true beauty of sisterhood and brotherhood. Getting invited to parties is secondary, the relationships you make in your Greek house are what you will remember in four, ten, twenty, thirty years.

College is not a spectator sport, so don't be afraid to get involved and ask the questions about Greek life that matter. Here are three things you need to know before you actually consider paying attention to this system:

1. The tiers are NOT classified/ranked by facts or important things.

2. It is dividing Greeks... while we're supposed to be a tight knit community.

3. It pushes people to join the wrong houses by encouraging them to pay attention to everything except what matters most.

When rushing, you should be looking for a place you would feel comfortable calling your home. Look for a place that you could see yourself dancing around in your pajamas and eating cheesy bread with your Greek family in. Look for a place that puts in the effort to make sure you are comfortable and has similar morals to you.

Being in a Greek house is more than just fun parties and cool t-shirts.

It's about finding your soul mates; people who understand you even when you don't understand yourself. It's about being a positive example in hopes of one day depleting the stereotype. It's about the tradition and wearing our letters proudly, and not for our own self-dignity, but in honor of the morals and values set forth by the women who made this whole experience possible.

No one should ever feel ashamed of the house the house they clicked with and decided to join. Asking someone "What house are you in?" and then proceeding to say, "Oh, I'm sorry" after they answer, is one of the rudest things I have ever heard. Everyone has their reasons for choosing their specific house, and rank shouldn't be one of them.

I have friends in many organizations and I love every single one of them. I don’t make decisions based on the “ranking.” I think that if we all did the same and stopped this we could reach our full potential as a genuine Greek community. So, please... reconsider what you're saying when you rank a person by their "tier." A member of the Greek community is more than a tier, more than their letters, and more than their Greekrank rating... they are a human being who joined this community for the same reasons you did. To find a family and to live and learn with a group of amazing people by their side.

The tier system is old news, so let's make a pact to stop giving it so much attention.