Let's Talk About Tattoos In The Workplace

A fresh take on some former opinions.

7

Whoever said that tattoos are unprofessional failed to consider the fact that tattooing is a profession. It is very apparent that tattoos are becoming more and more popular amongst people today, and whether they are large or small, you'll find that more people are inked than you probably thought. As a soon-to-be college graduate, I've recently been thinking about the stigmas behind tattoos in the workplace and in job interviews. After taking some time to research current trends and opinions, I've found that tattoos are far more socially acceptable in the workplace than they once were.

A rising interest in getting tattooed likely means that more potential job candidates will have one. According to a 2019 survey that was conducted by Accountemps, "91% of managers say workplaces are less formal today than they were ten years ago." Accountemps credits this to more relaxed social norms amongst the younger generation, which is quite representative of a shift in the workplace. In addition, the survey found that many employers are less concerned with piercings and hair color when interviewing candidates for positions. What researchers did discover, though, was that tattoos on or around the neck and facial area remain a controversial topic for employers.

Tattoos might not have been fit for the workplace in older generations, but as we are seeing in 2021, this method of thinking has become relatively outdated. Individuals reserve the right to do what makes them feel best in terms of their appearance, and a relaxed stance on body modifications offers a more welcoming environment in the workplace. If you are considering getting a tattoo but have hesitated due to future employment status, the survey below provides an updated take on the subject to help you make the decision that best suits you.

Accountemps Survey 2019:

https://rh-us.mediaroom.com/2019-12-18-Office-Etiq...