Let's Talk About Prioritizing Your Mental Health During School

It's OK not to be OK.

129

Taking care of your mental, physical, and emotional health should be an everyday thing, but when life gets busy, it's easy to slip out of the habit of prioritizing yourself. There are tips for prioritizing your mental health, and here are a few:

It's okay to say no to plans. I know that it may feel like you're missing out on your college experience, but saying no is okay sometimes. It's okay to take alone time and re-charge your energy. Sometimes your social battery wears out, and that's okay. Take a night to yourself to relax and do whatever it is that makes you happy, whether that be watching a movie, scrolling through TikTok, or going for a walk. It's important not to run yourself down. Take time for yourself.

Go outside or stretch when you start to feel overwhelmed. When you start to feel like you could scream and nothing is going right, put away your assignment. Put your phone on do not disturb. Grab a bottle of water and go outside. It's important to clear your mind from all the negativity that has been building up. Go take a 20-minute break and come back to your assignment. It'll help you have a fresh outlook.

Make a schedule. It's so important to have a planner or calendar. This will help you stay organized on your assignments and weekly accomplishments. There's nothing more satisfying than crossing something off your to-do list.

Evaluate what kind of day you had. Did something happen that was bad? Was it an overall good day? If not, what made it bad? The most important thing about positivity is the realization that you will have a bad day and that's okay. In no world will every day be perfect and glamorous. It's what you do with your bad day that matters. If you have a bad day, it's good to acknowledge that. Sometimes it's hard to find something good. The goal for your next day should be to make it better than the previous.

It's okay not to be okay. It's okay to ask for help. If you are ever feeling down, please never hesitate to reach out to a friend, professor, or university counseling services. People care about you and want to see you succeed in all aspects of life. Some days you need a helping hand and that's okay.

Talking about mental health shouldn't be taboo. Breaking the stigma and being supportive is what helps other people realize they are not alone.