Let's Talk About It: Sexual Assault Awareness Month

No means no.

31
sapac.umich.edu/
“We know that we cannot do anything for our daughter but in the future such things should not happen–we should do something.”- Jyoti’s father

India's Daughteris a heart-wrenching documentary that follows the horrendous rape and murder case of the 23-year-old medical student, Jyoti Singh. This film incorporates not only the beauty of unity and the country's emotional determination for justice, but it also displays the ignorance towards sexual assault, specifically rape. Her case attracted all types of media and it uncovered the political and social business behind the cameras. Society and politics play dirty, especially in situations like these, when the country's own morality is challenged. It is astonishing how the audience is exposed to the mortifying and outrageous violence. Simultaneously, this film is also an eye opener for everyone. Voices against sexual assault need to be heard. This immoral dilemma must be recognized and action must be taken.

The actual discussion about sexual assault has barely reached its fullest potential. Its rarely taken into consideration because of the various stigmas that have been associated with the crime.

A familiar stigma concerns male rape. It is unfortunate that a male's masculinity is questioned and immediately weakened once a situation of sexual assault associates them, not as the perpetrator, but as the victim. There is no specific rape kit that has been tested and established as well. It is almost as if society empathizes more when it involves a male violating a female because it is a commonality. So of course, it's not a "big deal." It is a disgusting expectation for a man to dominate a woman while she is in a vulnerable state. However, females are depicted as fragile flowers who are incompetent of controlling and committing such a crime towards men. But what about our men? Since adolescence, men are "taught" to enjoy the pleasures of any sexual act. But in reality, most men, if not all, do not wish to be victimized in such a way when it comes to rape. This is a topic of discussion that needs to be exploited. Men are not given enough respect, encouragement and opportunity to speak up on the subject because it is still viewed as a social taboo. Men are men, so of course, they should enjoy any sexual act, even if it against their will, right? Our close-minded society does not acknowledge the gender swap when it comes to sexual assault. Whatever happens to a female, can also occur to a male. There are no limitations or restrictions in what an evil mind can do. Anyone can be a victim.

Sexual assault is a universal controversy. College campuses, military bases, and prisons are some of the most common environments in which this act of misconduct and transgression transpire. Most go unreported or are dismissed. In the U.S. Military academies, 5% of women report surviving rape every year, as do 2.4% of the men (Snyder, Fisher, Scherer, & Daigle, 2012). It is a dilemma that will not resolve itself without proper exposure and legal involvement. Local campuses, like Rutgers University, have become popular sites of numerous sexual assault cases. As a result, universities have enforced their security guidelines and procedures. Students are progressively informed about sexual assaults and the preventative measures that could minimize the possibility of these situations from occurring. Organizations like EROC, RAINN, & SCAR provide further information on how student bodies can participate in activities and local events against sexual assault.

Statistics are simplistic, mathematical solutions or assumptions. They do not go beyond what a percentage or what the actual definition of an illegal sexual encounter is. Marshall University Women's Center concludes that there are eleven types of sexual assaults.

1. Rape = sexual intercourse against a person's will

2. Forcible sodomy = anal or oral sex against a person's will

3. Forcible object penetration = penetrating someone or causing that person to penetrate her or himself, against that person's will

4. Marital rape

5. Unwanted sexual touching

6. Sexual contact with minors, whether consensual or not

7. Incest

8. Any unwanted or coerced sexual contact

9. Sexual harassment (cat calling or indecent exposure, like public flashing, etc.)

10. Solicitation of minors through the internet

11. Possession of child pornography

This is no longer a national concern, it is an international affair. It does not matter how conservative or liberal a society is, sexual assault shall remain until something is done. It is time to act. By simply remaining aware of the issue and participating in organizations, you are already one step ahead. Innocent individuals are randomly targeted and permanently traumatized from these unacceptable actions. Certain victims, like Jyoti Singh, aren't even given the opportunity to live past their tragedies.

As a society, instead of destroying each other, let's rebuild what we have diminished.

Let's keep each other safe.

Stay informed. Join an organization. Voice your opinion. Fight for justice.

It is finally time that we talk about it.

Emergency Information: Please contact if in need of assistance. There is no reason for you to suffer alone.

Not Alone

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673

Love is Respect: 866-331-9474 OR text "campus" to 22522

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233

Military Rape Crisis Center

Military Rape Litigation - Service Women's Action Network

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

The Soldiers' Project: 1-877-576-5343

GI RIghts Hotline: 1-877-447-4487