Let's Go to London

Let's Go to London

All about my study abroad to London

41
Let's Go to London
Amy Powell

London was such a unique experience. Seeing as I had never traveled outside the country before, I was a little nervous but very excited. I spent two weeks in London during the summer of 2019 while I studied British Drama and travel writing through the University of Lynchburg. It was one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences of my life. When you travel everyone immediately asks "What'd you see?". I saw sooo many unique things in London, not to mention the exquisite architecture! Here are some of my favorite places we visited. Read all about my adventures below!

Visit Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace Amy Powell

One of the most see things in London is Buckingham Palace. Built in 1703, the palace contains 775 rooms and hosts the largest garden in London. Currently, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Edward and Sophie Countess of Wessex, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Princess Anne, and the Duke of York all reside in the palace.

The palace is a great location to take beautiful pictures. You can walk right up to the fence in front of the palace and take pictures with royal guards and fine architecture as your background. I recommend going in the mid-morning or late afternoon to capture the prime lighting for your photos.

Amy Powell outside of Buckingham palace Amy Powell

Visit Tower Bridge and the Tower of London

In front of the Tower Bridge Amy Powell

On Tower Bridge Amy Powell

While you're there, you should stop by the Tower of London. Adult tickets purchased online are about 25 British pounds a piece but it is well worth the experience. Here you can learn a lot about this history of London, see how the Tower played a part in World Wars I and II, see the Crown Jewels, and experience some traditions from the tower.

Inside the courtyard of the Tower of LondonAmy Powell

Selfie with a Tower guard!Amy Powell

Eat at the Coppa Club

One of the nicest places to eat in London is also one of the coolest places I've ever seen. The Coppa club is just off the Thames river. While there is a traditional restaurant style seating area available, most guests tend to sit in what I call "the bubbles". Providing a 365º view, guests can sit in a secluded area that feels as if you're inside a tropical paradise. And of course, it's also a prime location for photos. I ordered the crab linguine and instantly fell in love!

Crab Linguine Amy Powell

Go on the London Eye

One of the coolest, non-historical features of London is the London Eye. Adult tickets are 27 pounds, and fast track tickets are 37 pounds. I definitely recommend purchasing these tickets. With the regular tickets, you will still need to wait in line for up to several hours to get on the Eye. With the fast track tickets, you are able to select a time to ride and can skip the line. We waited at most 10 minutes.

Picture from the top of the London Eye Amy Powell

Amy Powell from the top of the London Eye Amy Powell

Explore Kew Gardens

Kew Gardens is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. It is a great spot for an afternoon picnic, family pictures, or just to relax and enjoy nature. There are thousands of beautiful flowers around ever corner of the gardens. We took a ferry from Camden Town to Kew across the Thames. We also ate at the cafe on the grounds of Kew. I recommend finding the quiet little shelter, a little of the beaten path. It is perfect to read a book or take a moment to meditate.

Kew Gardens Amy Powell

Amy Powell at Kew Gardens Amy Powell

Visit St. Paul's Cathedral

One of the most well known places in London is St. Paul's Cathedral. It is one of the most magnificent sights I saw while I was in London. We passed by on a traditional rainy afternoon in London. However, the second time we passed by was at night when it was illuminated against the dark night sky. Take some bird seed with you and feed the pigeons on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral.

St. Paul's Cathedral Amy Powell