Lessons You Can Learn from Each Harry Potter Character

Lessons You Can Learn From Each Harry Potter Character

All of them have taught us Potterheads something... even Voldemort.

71

I grew up reading, watching, and loving the Harry Potter series. I'll admit, when I was a kid, I just thought it was cool with all of the action and magic. However, as I get older, I can see important life lessons J.K. Rowling has invested in every character. This gives me a whole new appreciation for this amazing story.

1. Harry Potter

Harry Potter went through so much. His parents died when he was a baby, he had to grow up with his awful aunt, uncle, and cousin, and he was lied to all of his childhood. It wasn't until Hagrid showed up on his 11th birthday that he finally learned the truth... he was a wizard. After that Harry quickly learned who he was and how his life at Hogwarts was going to be. Through it all, Harry taught us that you should not dwell on your past, but focus on changing the future and he did this with an immense amount of bravery.

2. Hermione Granger

Hermione, in the beginning, was a little bit of a know-it-all. When she first came on to the Hogwarts Express and fixed Harry's glasses, she seemed stuck up and a little annoying. After that, she turned into one of the most charming characters in the series. Hermione spent most of her time in the library studying and it really payed off. If it wasn't for her, Harry and Ron wouldn't have made it through many of the obstacles they faced. Hermione taught us how important it is to be educated.

3. Ron Weasley

It is a good thing Harry had bravery, because at first Ron did not. He was afraid of every little thing (especially spiders). Ron did not let his fears get in the way, though. He was always getting through his fears to be there for his friends. Ron was terrified in Argog's nest when him and Harry were surrounded by spiders, but he did what he could to be there for Harry. Ron definitely set good examples of how to get over your fears and be there for a friend, no matter what.

4. Neville Longbottom

Neville was another character we weren't sure about first, but grew to love. He was constantly worried and didn't want Harry, Ron, and Hermione getting into trouble, but his first act of surprise happened at the end of the first book. He was rewarded 10 points to his house for "standing up to his friends". The surprises from Neville continued to the end of the series when he finally showed his strength and stepped up to battle. I'm sure we were all taken back when he chopped Nagini's head off, what he thought was the final horcrux. Neville taught us that people can always step up and surprise you.

5. Ginny Weasley

Ginny was a shy girl at first, but once she came out of her shell she was nothing short of incredible. Ginny was the only girl in her family of 7 and this made her nervous her first year at Hogwarts. After that, it did not take long for this talented witch to get out of her head and stand up for herself and Harry. Ginny ultimately taught us girl power.

6. Sirius Black

We met Sirius in the third book and he did not seem like the lovable Godfather to Harry we all know. When we first heard about him, he was a murderer who escaped from Azkaban. After we met him, we quickly saw his love for Harry and how he would always be there for him, he even helped Harry before the Triwizard Tournament by explaining the tasks to him and the traits of Death Eaters. Sirius taught us that people aren't always what they seem.

7. Hagrid

Hagrid is the Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts and is always there for Harry and his friends when they need it. We see them go to Hagrid many times for help and a cup of tea. One trait Hagrid showed us was the ability to see the good in people and this is something we could all learn from his kind soul.

8. Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy is definitely a character that isn't loved by many. He is always rude to Harry, or anyone who isn't a Pure-blood. He is very stuck up and knows his father is something big in the wizard world, so he uses that to threaten anyone who does him wrong. Although Draco makes us cringe so many times during the series, he did teach us one lesson. That is, being the "cool kid" doesn't get you anywhere.

9. Luna Lovegood

Luna is known for being different from the others, but she is loved just the same. The way she comforted Harry when he first saw Thestrals showed how unique she truly was. Luna told him "Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am." This showed us how she embraced her weird personality. Luna taught us not to be afraid to be ourselves and that it's okay to be different.

10. Dobby

Dobby showed up in the second book to try and convince Harry not to go back to Hogwarts. He tried everything he could to keep him away, but as we know, it did not work. Dobby never left Harry's side after that and they were a duo we all cherished. Dobby was there for Harry until the very end. This adorable creature taught us the true meaning of loyalty.

11. Fred & George Weasley

Fred and George hardly ever took anything seriously and they were always full of laughter and joy. They knew just how to lighten a mood and put smiles on everyone's faces. They both taught us to always have fun, even if things were going rough.

12. Lilly & James Potter

Harry's mom and dad did not get a proper greeting from us, but they were still existent. They showed up for Harry in the last book when Harry had his final confrontation with Voldemort. They taught us "the ones that love us never really leave us".

13. Severus Snape

Snape was Lilly Potter's first love. We knew him at first for being way too hard on Harry and we loathed him for that. But, when we found out who Snape really was and why he behaved that way, we grew an appreciation for him and his tough love on Harry. Apparently Harry did too, since he named his first child after him. Snape taught us true love and that sometimes tough love is necessary.

14. Dumbledore

Let's be honest... Dumbledore was so wise that it is hard to pick just one lesson to learn from him. Some of his lines in the books are the most famous quotes from the series today. Dumbledore always said the right thing at the right time and it filled our hearts with gratitude for his well spoken words. Overall, Dumbledore taught us what a great leader should be.

15. Voldemort

Last, but not least, we learned something from Voldemort himself. Voldemort had the most powerful wand in the world and was one of the most powerful wizards. He also had an immeasurable amount of followers. Nonetheless, he never seemed truly content. Voldemort taught us that all the power in the world still doesn't bring you happiness.