Lessons From My Southern Grandpa

14 Lessons I Learned From My Sweet Southern Grandpa That I'll Never Forget

1. It's never too late for ice cream.

135
Alexi Sanderlin

When I was around 4 years old, my "Mamam" married her second husband, my "Pop". Even though Pop wan't biologically my grandfather, he was all I had in the way of one. He meant the world to me. My world began with him and when he passed my world ended.

He was absolutely everything to me and because of that, I hung onto every word he ever said. He taught me a million things over our time together and even though he passed when I was 16, I still remember all of the things he taught me. Since I've been thinking about him a lot lately and following his advice, I figured I would share some of those lessons with you.

1. It's never too late for ice cream.

This was Pop's way of bonding. If I was having a rough week, we'd have a sleep over on a Friday night and we'd make hot fudge sundae's in the kitchen and forget our troubles for a little while. For him, sitting together and eating ice cream was a way to relax and forget your worries. Ice cream healed all wounds.

2. Don't hold hate in your heart.

My Pop was a preacher. He believed that if God could love everyone, regardless of their flaws, then we could too. There's enough love in the world to share with everyone.

3. You're worth way more than a nickle.

My Pop was an older southern gentleman. A nickle or a dime was a reasonable amount of money when he was a kid. So this was his way of telling people that they were priceless and reminding them of their worth.

4. God doesn't like ugly.

No, he didn't mean physically. He always said when I was misbehaving or being nasty to others that God didn't like the ugly that I had on the inside, and neither did he.

5. Taking a risk every once in a while is a good thing.

Pop never let us wear seat belts. He said he lived through cars just fine without one. He thought a little bit of risk was fun sometimes. It kept life from going stale.

6. Do what makes you happy, even if you're horrible at it.

You can find joy in almost everything. Do what you love to do for as long as you can because one day you'll wish you still could.

7. A smile or a hug goes a long way.

No one had a better smile than Pop. He lit up a room when he was happy. Even strangers couldn't help but smile back. He was also a hugger. He hugged everyone he ever met and we were alright with that. It made people happy and he loved seeing people happy.

8. The better you dress, the better you feel.

I rarely ever saw Pop in anything less than a suit and tie with a gold necklace and gold rings. He was always dressed to impress. He just wanted to feel like a million bucks and if he looked great, he felt great.

9. Tell everyone that will listen that you love them.

People need to feel loved and appreciated. Even if it's by just one person. Tell every single person you love that you love them every time you see them.

10. Find joy in the hardest of times, it will save you.

For a lot of my childhood Pop was battling Cancer. But even through Chemotherapy and Radiation treatments, he was always cracking jokes or finding reasons to praise God. Even if it was praising God for the milkshake I brought to him after chemo every Monday evening. He said he knew that the happier he tried to be, the easier it would be to make it through, and he was right.

11. Everything that happens in your life happens for a reason.

Pop knew that no matter what he was going through, he was supposed to be going through it. He knew there would be a lesson or a reason for why he had to go through what he did. He knew that his life was going to end up exactly the way it was meant to.

12. The world doesn't owe you anything.

No one in this world owes you a darn thing, so stop acting like they do and work for what you have.

13. No one will ever love you more than your family.

My Pop loved me like no one else ever could. He believed in everything I did and wanted to do. He loved me unconditionally without fail. No one will ever love me like that again.

14. The world will remember you when you're gone. Make it a good memory.

Reputation may not be everything, but it's important. Make sure people remember you for the right reasons so that you can continue to reach people long after you've gone.

Pop, these lessons plus the countless others you taught me will stick with me for the rest of my days. I hope that at some point I will pass these lessons on and love people in the way that you did. I miss you everyday.

Dr. William Edmund Reynolds, Ph.D 06.22.1938- 10.16.2014