7 Lessons I've Learned From A Week In My Dorm

As many of you know, college move-in season is in full swing by now. The last of the local fairs are wrapping up, the humidity is finally starting to become tolerable, and the panic of parents doing last minute back to school shopping in Office Depot is a daily sight. I moved two hours away from home for the first time this year, and it's only been a week but it already feels like it's been so much longer. So, here's what insight I can provide on the first week as a college freshman

1. It's okay to cry.

little women la crying GIF by Lifetime

We hadn't even been in the room for 15 minutes before I started tearing up because I was just so frustrated with everything in my room. The lofts weren't the height we had requested, we had no space to put our school provided fridge and microwave, and honestly, I was just so overwhelmed by the newness of everything that I needed to get it out of my system.

2. College beds really aren't that bad.

tired bed GIF

Maybe this is just me, but I only have a thin mattress topper for my bed and I haven't slept significantly worse here than I did at home. I came in worrying I wouldn't be able to sleep well, and maybe it's just the exhaustion from band camp but I've slept fine for the first week here.

3. Dining halls sound cooler than they are.

parks and rec college food GIF

When we all go on college visits the promise of buffet-style dining halls seems like an awesome thing, but when only one place is open for the first several days on campus, you get tired of eating the same style food. Also, waiting 15 minutes in line just to get a grilled cheese sandwich is kind of ridiculous, but it's not like I have a kitchen anymore to just make one myself.

4. Organizing and unpacking take a ridiculous amount of time.

My mom and I did take a few breaks (and a trip to Target) but in total, we probably spent about five hours after getting all my stuff moved up in my room and somewhat hastily assembled before she had to leave. Even after that, I spent a ton of time reorganizing and decorating my room and frankly I still have more I want to do. That being said, personalizing your room is a great way to help you feel more at home! Even if it's just a plant or some photos of your friends, having little pieces of home definitely help make the sardine can of a room feel a little bigger.

5. Command hooks will become your best friend.

dorm messy room GIF by GoPop

I think we have no less than four different types of command hooks hanging in our room right now, and that's without half our room even here. When you're held responsible for any damage to the walls, the convenience and simplicity of command hooks just get me every time.

6. Having a roommate is a little weird, but also the best.

bored matthew perry GIF by Nick At Nite

I've essentially been an only child for the past few years and because of it, I've grown used to having a lot of space and privacy. I know it's only been a week (and with only one out of three roommates here), but so far I've really enjoyed having a roommate. It sucks to not have more space, but we've already made so many memories within a week and I can't wait to make more once the actual semester starts.

7. The first night is the worst.

sad andre johnson GIF

After I walked my mom to her car and said goodbye, I pretty much just cried on the walk home. Living away from home can be scary, but it's part of growing up and you learn so much about yourself as an individual because of it. Like I said before, it's only been a week but it feels like it's been so much longer. Spending a week at school has made me remember why I chose to attend UC, and how excited I am to start the next chapter of my life.