15 Lessons Dumplin' Will Teach Women

15 Things Every Woman Will Learn After Watching 'Dumplin’'

A swimsuit body is a body with a swimsuit on it.

9903

Willowdean Opal is not your typical beauty pageant contest and I am here for it. So often bigger girls are indirectly told not to compete in beauty related things. As a society, we have shaped what beauty is, and that mold doesn't fit everyone.

After watching the Netflix movie "Dumplin'", I picked up 15 things said in this movie that everyone should hear.

1. The world is filled with people who are going to try to tell you who you are, but that’s for you to decide

Willowdean and her mom

Often time-based on our looks people decide which path we should go on. What things we should wear, eat and overall being. But at the end of the day, you decide who you want to be, no one else.

2. Speak clearly cause you never get a second chance at a first impression

Being Bold

First impressions are hard. What we sometimes lack is our confidence to stand up strong and be heard. So in order for us to have a voice we should speak with confidence and keep our head down otherwise we conform to ideas we don't all agree on. Silence is deadly, but our voices are sometimes the only thing we got.

3.Everyone has their own story

Every Story

It's hard for everyone not to go based on stereotypes when we meet new people. We find ourselves thinking that smaller girls have had no problems with guys, pageants and life. What "Dumpln'" showed us is that every person has their own story. And that life isn't easy for most people. We shouldn't judge others based on their outer appearances. Because what may be tearing one person down, can be covered by our outer bodies and hidden by a smile.

4. I get that you were just trying to protect me, but sometimes I need you to support me.

Support

We may not always agree with what our friends and family think its best for us. But what we need to do as a society is support one another. Life is all about learning from mistakes and making them. That develops character.

5. Speak from experience cause it shows you’ve lived a life worth paying attention to.

Experiences

We can easily put on a mask for people, almost as if we are competing to see who is happier. The truth is, we need to speak from our experiences, what we learned and what we are going through because that is what is going to get others to listen. All of our lives are worth a listen.

6. Every revolution starts small.

Rainbows

In order to see change, we need to be the change. We may want things to change in our society, but that all starts with you making small impacts on other.

7. Stop Rejecting people for things they can’t change.

Acceptance

If they can't change it in 10 seconds don't point it out. Often times we see that rejection takes on many forms. What we as a society need to stop doing, is rejecting people because of certain attributes they can't change for themselves. You have to ask yourself, what kind of person does that make me if I do not accept a person who goes out of my norm?

8.A swimsuit body is a body with a swimsuit on it.

All Are Swim Suit Bodies

This was by far my favorite line in the movie. When the warm weather approaches everyone always says "I have to get swimsuit body ready or I'll hate myself", but what we fail to realize is that everybody is a swimsuit body. We as people, come in many shapes and forms. And we think that everyone should look the same in a bikini. Wrong, we need to love ourselves the way that we are in order to better ourselves for the future.

9. I’m a beauty queen. I’m all of it.

All Beauty Queens

Even if you don't see yourselves as a beauty queen, does not mean you're not beautiful. You are everything and more.

10. Why does this hot guy want to kiss me?

Beauty in All Forms

Willowdean questioned why Bo would like a girl like her She thought society would question why this pair was together. Stop. We need to stop questioning if we are good enough and start realizing how amazing we are. Anyone would be lucky to be with you.

11. To hell with what everyone else thinks.

Bo

There are going to be people who are going to talk, but what Bo teaches us is to hell with everyone else opinions. What matters at the end of the day is what you think of yourself.

12. You're saying that every girl in this room is more deserving than me because I’m not built like them.

Empower

Women, we are taught at a young age that we are competitors. We have to be the best out of everyone. The problem arises when we start to think we are better than another person without hearing their story. Not every girl is going to be built the same, talk the same or dress the same. Accept the differences and bond with one another. We need to empower one another otherwise we conform to the hatred that is already bestowed upon us in society.

13. What do you say we finish for us?

For Us

Your goals should always be for you, and not anyone else.

14. I’m doing this for me.

I am Me.

If at any moment in your life you are questioned for doing your best you must recognize that you are doing this for you. When you do something for you, it has the greatest ending.

15. Why are you here?

Here To Stay

As women in our society, we are going to be questioned about our reason for being in the position that we are in. It is up to us to break the glass ceilings and show everyone what we are truly made of.

There were many amazing scenes in "Dumplin'" and I believe it is an amazing movie about body acceptance and empowerment. Empowerment of others is the key to growth in our society.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out?