12 Lessons Learned From 'Bob’s Burgers'

12 Lessons Learned From 'Bob’s Burgers'

410
12 Lessons Learned From 'Bob’s Burgers'
thenypost.files.wordpress.com

One of my favorite ways to spend free time is to revel in the hilarity of Fox’s animated show, "Bob’s Burgers." My best friends and I have seen each episode at least three times, and together, we put together a list of some of the lessons we have reaped from this classic, trendy program. From family disputes to financial troubles, "Bob’s Burgers" has lessons that all of us can use in our own lives.

1. Approach all things with a positive attitude.

Linda, the family’s mom, is always trying new things with a beaming smile, a song, and an “Arrrright!” Even though her husband, Bob, may groan about doing any out of the ordinary activities, Linda’s infectiously positive attitude helps the family get through the good, bad and goofy times.

2. Encourage those you love.

When you love someone, you need to make sure they feel supported. Often times there are things we want to do but can’t bring ourselves to try. The Belcher family always makes sure to foster a mostly constant web of mutual support. For example, when Tina, Louise and Gene took an Independent Swimming class, Linda and Bob helped them learn how to synchronize swim so they could get out of gym class.

3. Be weird and own it.

There is nothing wrong with being weird. All characters in this show are always getting themselves into odd, unconventional predicaments. Jimmy Junior just wants to dance, Tina loves erotic friend-fiction, and Gene has an affinity for Questlove. Above all, I’ve learned from this program that you just have to put your blinders to the haters and wave your freak flag high.

4. Food in bed after a night out is the best way to end the night.

This one is short and simple. Snacks after a long day or a night out can be beyond satisfying. Be it Linda’s love for crackers, Gene’s constant eating, or Bob’s delicious burgers, all can agree that late-night snacks can make your day.

5. It is never too late to follow your dreams.

Bob became a teacher, Teddy learned to dance, and Linda had a crazy 40th birthday. Life is meant to be lived. Suppressing your hopes and dreams helps no one, so take after this example and expand your legacy!

6. A family that works together stays together.

We all dread the family projects like lawn work, house cleaning, or the forsaken family garage sale. However, practicing teamwork as a family can bring you all closer together. Even though these activities can be stressful, revel in the little moments you have with your family.

7. When making hard choices, keep your options open, but don't go too crazy.

Tina once got asked to a dance by two boys, and made her prospective dates fight over her. In the end, she lost both dates. When making choices, be sure to keep your options open, but make sure to make a decision before you lose your options entirely. Being indecisive can ruin a perfectly manageable decision.

8. Burgers can truly be a gourmet meal choice.

Burgers have a food item from almost every food group, therefore obviously making them a solid meal choice. Bob’s burgers always showcase some gourmet, unique ingredient. Next time you order a burger, get the craziest one on the menu and let your taste buds dance.

9. Growing up mean appreciating what you have.

For her thirteenth birthday, Tina wanted a big party. To make her birthday dream come true, Bob got a second job driving a late-night cab to fund the teen’s soirée. Through some crazy twists, Bob shaved his moustache, and Tina got everything she wanted even though she acted selfishly. At the end of the episode, Tina apologized to her dad and thanked him for supporting her. As we grow, we must learn to appreciate all we are privileged to enjoy. It may be our family, friends, possessions, or safety, but ultimately, we all have a lot to be grateful for.

10. Sometimes, you have to break into song to release stress.

Too much homework? Not getting the hours you need at work? Mundane drama? Sing about it! That is at least what I have learne d from Linda. Even when a bandit stole all of their money from the cash register during Dinner Theatre, Linda still wanted to sing about it. Singing about your troubles may help put them into perspective.

11. Be open to new adventures.

Gene started cheerleading and made a bunch of new friends. Louise went to a Boys for Now concert and developed her first crush. Bob started driving a cab and met some super cool drag queens. You never know what you’ll encounter when you try something new. Boldly go, and be open to new possibilities.

12. We all put our bras on one boob at a time.

Finally, as the prolific Tina said, “I’m no hero. I put my bra on one boob at a time like everyone else.” This lesson showed me that even though a legend like Beyoncé may have a life that appears more important than mine, we still have at least one thing in common. Regardless of where I am in life, there is always an equalizer in success. We can attain anything in this world full of seemingly random opportunities. Thanks for this wisdom, Tina.