Lessons From Tiffany's

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" is an iconic movie that quickly escalated Audrey Hepburn to be almost the unofficial face of the high-end jewelry brand. While Audrey is the major name in old Hollywood, the film is an old classic that I enjoy snuggling up with during a rainy day or when I'm stressed.

One of the perks of watching "Breakfast at Tiffany's" all the time is that the classy and independent nature of Holly Golightly has completely shaped the way I view things now, and it's taught me a few life lessons along the way.

The most major lesson I came away with is no one belongs to anyone.

"Holly, I'm in love with you.

So what?

So what? So plenty! I love you. You belong to me.

No. People don't belong to people.

Of course they do.

I'm not going to let anyone put me in a cage.

I don't want to put you in a cage. I want to love you.

It's the same thing.

No it's not. Holly...

I'm not Holly. I'm not Lula Mae, either. I don't know who I am! I'm like cat here, a couple of no-name slobs. We belong to nobody and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other."

While this may seem ludacris at first, let me explain my reasoning. While being in a relationship can be a beautiful thing, you should never keep your partner from reaching their goals or hold them back with declarations of love. While it may be true, you need to love them enough to let them be free to be themselves and pursue what they're passionate about. If you do this, your partner should offer the same, and your relationship can stay on the healthier side.

Another lesson that the film has taught me is to be completely unashamed about what I love.

"Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then-then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!"

Whether it's Tiffany & Co. like Holly and I, or a sport, or an art form, no one should be afraid to be excited about what excites them. If it makes you happy (within reason), then own it! Be proud of what you've accomplished! Never let anyone kill your joy or keep you from being happy.

I honestly could go on and on about life lessons from "Breakfast At Tiffany's", but in the end, there's way too much to cover in one article. In essence, the film teaches confidence, class, and the importance of knowing boundaries. If you haven't by chance watched this amazing movie, I highly recommend that you do! It's something that I've never regretted--obviously--and I don't believe that you would, either.