13 Of My Favorite Netflix Shows And What They Taught Me

They are impressive in different ways

28

There are many great shows on Netflix whether they are featured on Netflix or Netflix originals. These are 13 of my favorite Netflix TV shows in order of when I watched them. All of these shows taught me something, some of them have the same life lessons as others and some of them have something entirely different.

1. "Gilmore Girls"

Gilmore Girls is a witty and fast talking show. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore live in a small town called Stars Hallow. It is a single mother and daughter duo that melts our hearts and makes us laugh. Gilmore Girls taught me the importance of my relationship with my mother. My mom and I have a close relationship that I will always be thankful for. Gilmore Girls shows a lot of lessons that my mom taught me, especially independence. It shows that although it hurts a little growing up without a father, it shows that kids can be raised equally with one parent. This show will always have a piece of my heart because it was my mom and I's show.

2. "New Girl"

New Girl is a funny and quirky sitcom about a young woman named Jess moving in with 3 (sometimes 4) males. New Girl taught me how to be myself. All the characters are weird and quirky but they aren't afraid to be who they are no matter how they look to other people. It also teaches that real friends will love you for you quirks and even be weird with you.

3. "Orange is the New Black"

Orange is the New Black is a show about a woman who ends up in a female prison. It consists of many different characters and stories. This show teaches me what it's like for women in prison. It also teaches people that they are people too. Orange is the New Black has comedy and romance but it also deals with serious issues. It taught me what goes on in the world and how unfair imprisonment and the system can be, especially when it involves race and economic differences.

4. "Shameless (US)"

Tenor

Shameless is about a young woman who takes care of her 5 siblings in the south end of Chicago. Their mother is bipolar and is never really around and their father is an addict, who only cares about his next score. Shameless teaches a lot about family and heartbreak. Shameless has comedy and raunchy romance but it is filled with life lessons. It teaches what life is like for people whose parents are addicts. It shows what it is like to sacrifice for family and it deals with mental illnesses and other tragedies. It taught me personally, how to never give up and push through your difficult times.

5. "Skins (UK)"

Skins(UK) is a show that is about different generations of high school students in Bristol, England. It is set up in 3 generations and everyone has their favorite generation. This is set up like a teenage drama but it is edgier and deals with a lot of serious things such as mental illnesses, eating disorders and the deaths of loved ones. This show taught me a lot which I shared in a separate article of mine because each generation teaches its own lessons. The main thing it taught me is that you never truly know a persons monsters and what they deal with. Some people can seem so strong or seem like they don't have a care in the world but are dealing with their battles on the inside. The person with the biggest smile has shed a lot of tears or someone you find beautiful sees themselves as ugly. It taught me to take care of myself.

6. "Stranger Things"

Stranger things is a sci-fi Netflix original about a group of kids battling the Upside Down and a young girl, Eleven who has telekinetic powers battling those who used her as an experiment. This show has comedy and suspense. It taught me that no matter how small you think you are, you can make a difference and you can battle your own battles.

7. "Girlboss"

WeHeartIt

Girlboss is about Sophia Amoruso and the building of Nasty Gal, a multi-million dollar fashion empire. Sophia starts out as a rebellious and broke young girl who starts selling vintage clothing online. She becomes her own boss. This show taught me that you can succeed in life no matter where you start. Even if it doesn't make you as much money as Sophia, it shows you can be who you want to be.

8. "The Vampire Diaries"

The Vampire Diaries is a show about a teenage girl who is a doppleganger and fell in love with a vampire with a bit of a triangle between the vampire brothers Stephen and Damon. This show is filled with drama, a little suspense and a lot of romance. What this show taught me is the importance of friendship. Although some of these characters are powerful and supernatural, their greatest weapons are their friendships. They never leave each other behind and would do anything for each other. It shows what a real friendship looks like.

9. "Riverdale"

WikiFandom

Riverdale is drama/suspense show that is becoming very well-known. It is about a group of teenagers living in Riverdale and dealing with murder cases. The lighting and aesthetics has always impressed me when it came to this show. What it taught me was again the importance of friendship but also that there are many sides to a human being. Betty and Cheryl shows that the most, in my opinion, because they both have a certain persona. Betty's the good girl and Cheryl is the badass bitch but it turns out Betty does have a dark side and Cheryl does have a soft side. It teaches to never judge a book by its cover.

10. "The End of The F***ing World"

The End of the F***ing World is about a teenage duo, one who thinks he is a sociopath and a rebellious teenage girl, run away from their disappointing lives and accidentally end up in a murder rap. The aesthetic, unapologetic humor and amazing acting makes this show. It teaches me that a women doesn't need to always smile and be polite, as the girl breaks that barrier.

11. "The Originals"

The Originals is a spin-off of the Vampire Diaries and is about the Vampire Diaries villain Klaus and the Mikaelson's (a.k.a the original vampires). The Originals shows that they aren't the villains they were pegged as and you learn more about them. The Originals is filled with suspense, a bit of romance and some badass characters but most importantly family. The Originals taught me that there is always more to a person then what meets the eye and when it comes down to it, family is the most important thing in life.

12. "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"

Tenor

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is about a teenage witch named Sabrina who lives with her aunts and try to balance her life as a witch and a human, which is like the original but this one is darker. It is filled with dark witchcraft, suspense and the loving of friends and family. This taught me how powerful the individual can be and how much of your life is in your own hands.

13. "Jessica Jones"

Jessica Jones is a Netflix original based on the Marvel character. Jessica Jones is a hard liquor drinking, strong and independent women who uses her powers to work as a P.I. She is a victim of a man who was forceful and controlling in a supernatural way and is somebody who has lost all of her family. This show taught me that even though you went through some terrible things, you can come out of it stronger. It teaches me how to use my pain to build myself up and do something good that will make a difference.

These shows are all my favorites and some maybe more than others but I loved all of their life lessons. Even though shows may be about people with supernatural abilities or powers, they can still be incredibly relatable because they deal with problems similar to ours. Sometimes a show hits us in a way and makes us relate to the character which, in my opinion, are the strongest characters. Learn from the life around you, even the shows that are your favorites. I recommend all of these shows, you may not like all depending on your taste of shows but I thought all of these are worth the watch. Happy watching!