the odyssey, writing journey, lessons learned, experience

For The Lessons I Have Learned And The Experience I Have Gained, Thank You, Dear Odyssey

It may not have been what I expected, but it's certainly something I'll never forget.

79
JL Photography

As I sit here writing this, a million thoughts are running through my head. The good, the bad, and everything between. These last eight months have taught me so much. When I first started writing for Odyssey, I never imagined I would be where I am today. When I first began, I thought I knew exactly what I would get from my experience, but in reality, I had no idea. When I started writing, I figured I would write an article about my life each week. I figured that I would write about my past, I would write about where I wanted to go. But what I didn't know, is that Odyssey would help me to develop so much as a writer, and as a person.

The lessons that I've learned in the past eight months have helped to shape the person I am today. I've learned about deadlines. I've learned that no matter what, the show must go on. If something comes up, the most important thing is communication. I've learned the communication is key. People can be incredibly understanding, as long as you know how to communicate. My editors and supervisors have been some of the kindest and most supportive people to me during my writing journey. They've taught me that no matter what life throws at you, there will be people to support you, and understand your needs. Relationships can go far, and learning to communicate and trust your team is a skill that I know will support me for the rest of my life.

I've learned that you never know where life will take you. Odyssey has given me so many opportunities to write simply where my mind desires. It has helped me to grow through the difficult times, and also to cheer me up. I have had the opportunity to write about the tough stuff, as well as just fun things about my life. I have gotten to share what I have learned through my job as a nanny, through my experiences as a dancer, and simply through who I am as a person.

These last eight months have given me so much. I never expected to have so many people give such positive feedback about my articles. I expected to write for my friends and family, but have instead had total strangers offer their love and support for my writing and for my journey. This experience has been invaluable, and it's something that has given me so much confidence.

So to everyone who has read my articles, who has kept up with my journey, to my Odyssey team, and to the entire Odyssey community: thank you. Thank you for the support, for the following, and simply for everything you have helped do to create such a memorable experience for me. While the time may no longer be right for me to be able to write each week, I am forever thankful for the lessons I have learned and the experience I have gained.