On Aunthood

On Aunthood

They are exhausting, frustrating and downright pains in the neck, but we love these tiny humans.

17
On Aunthood

"You're going to be an aunt!"

These are the words changed my life forever.

Growing up, I didn't plan on being an aunt. I mean, sure, with having an older sibling I always knew it was a possibility that would most likely happen, but I did not day dream about what it would be like to one day have a little person following me around, watching my every move and screaming my name. It just happened. It was unexpected, shocking and hands down one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Initially, I was freaked out. I could not picture my brother, the same person who used to put me in headlocks, holding a baby. How was he going to nurture it, watch it grow, keep it from harm's way when his definition of affection was squeezing me in a "hug" until I could no longer breathe? Furthermore, what would my role be in all of this? I was just a sophomore in high school at the time. I could barely take care of myself, much less help take care of a baby. Nope. I wasn't going to have anything to do with it. Sure, it would be cute and cuddly (all babies are), but no way was I going to change diapers, endure sleepless nights or wipe snotty noses. No sir, not me.

HA. HA. HA.

Who was I kidding?! Here I am four years later, and that little potato-looking screaming bundle of blankets that I held at the hospital has grown into one of the most important people in my life. Being an aunt isn't always easy, that's for sure, but I would do absolutely anything for my nephew (and now niece, as well). In fact, my resolve to not be involved melted the exact minute I held my nephew for the first time. As soon as I felt that little body, so tiny and innocent, in my arms, I knew I was hooked, and there was no turning back. I melt every time my nephew yells my name, holds my hand or gives me a hug. I wouldn't give up these sweet moments for all the money in the world. However, as I mentioned it's not always rainbows and butterflies being an aunt, and there are valuable lessons I've learned along the way.

For example, poop is an acceptable (and common) topic of conversation. You will discuss color, texture, consistency, timing and countless other characteristics of it quite frequently. You will also be covered in it more times than you (or I) will ever admit.

Next, kid's television and movies are actually very entertaining. Too bad the kids don't always think so, too. Not that I'm speaking from experience after watching twenty minutes of Super Why! on my own or anything... I had to find out if Mother Goose was going to solve the riddle, okay?!

Furthermore, disregarding matters of discipline, the child is never wrong. Accept this now and life will be easier, I promise. The broccoli is a tree. The popsicle is hot. The sky is green. Don't ask questions.

Sometimes you will literally want to murder your nephew or niece. There will be days when they drive you crazy. They will scream. They will cry. They will argue with everything you say and do. You will question why you agreed to watch them and how you ever fell in love with such a little monster. You will hit your breaking point. You might even cry. You will swear that you will never again watch whatever demon spawn has been placed in your possession.

Then at the end of the day when you are beyond the point of exhaustion and ready to rip your hair out that same little demon spawn will curl up next to you, look up at you with those big eyes and give you a hug and whisper, "I love you." Then, all of a sudden, just like on the day they were born, all of your resolve disappears. You embrace this child that you love more than anything in the world, laugh at how ridiculous life is, and question how it is possible to love such a tiny human so much.