Lesser Known Advice For College Freshmen
Education

I just finished my freshman year of college, so I am going to take this opportunity to share some advice that you may not hear at your everyday college fair or guidance session.

248
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-blur-books-close-up-261909/

If you recently got out of high school and are stressing over college, don't worry! I have a lot of tips for you, and hopefully, they're ones you haven't heard of yet. Obviously, everyone's experience will vary, and what may be good advice for one major may not be good for another.

1. Undeclared? Unashamed.

Speaking of majors, my first piece of advice is that it's okay not to know what to do with your life. A lot of people try to help new students find out a major, but I've hardly ever seen anyone give out reassurances that it's truly okay to have no idea. Sign up for a wild variety of classes and see which one you like the best. Talk to your professors, talk to your friends, talk to your roommate (if you're living on campus and have one).

There is no shame in being undeclared, especially during your first semester!

2. Grades aren't everything!

Focus on learning rather than excelling. Obviously, everyone wants to pass, but in my honest opinion? It's much better to learn a lot and have a good time and end up with a C, than it is to get an A in a class you didn't learn a lot in. Most employers don't look for a 4.0, so as long as you do aim for at least slightly above average, you should be fine.

Don't slack, but don't focus more on your grades than your actual experience.

3. Quality, not quantity when it comes to friends!

Remember that you don't need a huge group of friends, nor do you need to be best friends with your roommate. Obviously, it's nice to get along with the person you live with and to have at least a couple of companions, but you don't need a huge group.

It's just as fine to focus on only yourself, as long as you're not completely isolated.

4. Learn how to budget!

Finally, learn how to save your money. You actually probably DO hear this one, but you may not get advice on HOW to do so. Get a job if possible. Don't blow your money on food every weekend (check out the free food that your campus surely must have). Don't buy textbooks until you know that you really truly need them, and then try to look around for rented books or free PDFs.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with the freedom you have in college, but don't run yourself into debt!