Lent Isn't A Bad Thing

Lent Isn't A Bad Thing

Lent: giving up something to make yourself grow more positively

9
Marketing Land

I have practiced the Catholic religion since I was just a baby. I was baptized and after that my mom forced me into communion, confirmation, and Sunday School to teach me more about the religion I was forced to be in. I was a kid, so I guess she had to parent me into some religion so I would believe in something. Don't get me wrong; I believe in some Catholic traditions but I don't practice my religion. I honestly couldn't tell you how to read the Bible or what some things mean; even though I went to Sunday School I didn't listen because I wasn't interested. Sometimes I would skip it with my dad, other times I went but the information went in one ear and out the other. It wasn't something I was into but I had to go because of "Mom's rules."

As I got older, I started to venture off and believe in what I wanted to believe in. I don't go by the Bible or the Ten Commandments. I know what I believe in and that's all I need. Although I don't practice being Catholic, there are some things that I do involve myself in. For instance, Lent. Lent is when you give up something for 40 days (not counting Sundays) from Ash Wednesday until Easter to honor the sacrifice of Jesus. This year Lent started on March 1st and will end April 16th.

When I was younger, I always had to attend Ash Wednesday services. You get an ash on your forehead which opens Lent, a season of fasting and prayer. My mom always wanted to go in the morning at 6 a.m., right before school. The mark on my forehead was embarrassing for me so I would always rub it off before school because I didn't want anyone to see it. However, one time I didn't and my peers teased me for having it on my forehead, which scarred me forever.

Now that I have a say in my religion, I don't have to get an ash on my forehead on Ash Wednesday. However, I decide to give something up because I think it's healthy. This year, I've decided to give up social media. Earlier in the year, I deactivated my Facebook because I was tired of seeing other people's political opinions. Honestly, it didn't make me feel good about myself. Now, I've decided to withdraw from Instagram and Facebook. I constantly compare myself to others and perceive others having a better life than I do. A lot of my insecurities have surfaced because of social media. I'm tired of it and I've decided to give it up. Who knows, giving up social media might last longer than April 16th.