The 9 Most Legendary, Feminist Moments From This Year's Golden Globe Awards

TIME’S UP!

137
YouTube

If the Golden Globe awards were THIS legendary, I can't imagine what the Oscars will bring...

And the nominees for best moments are...

1. When Debra Messing tore E! News to shreds...

“I was so shocked to hear that E! does not believe in paying their female co-hosts the same as their male co-hosts. I miss Catt Sadler...and we stand with her.”

2. The part of Seth Meyers' monologue when he explained how he got the hosting gig...

3. When Frances McDormand pointed out that women are more likely to become presidents in Hollywood...

"Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press. I'm still not quite sure who they are when I run into them, but for the last 35 years, but I love seeing their faces. And let's face it, they managed to elect a female president. I'm just sayin'!"

4. When Elizabeth Moss thanked Margaret Atwood in her acceptance speech for inspiring women to "write the stories" of feminist movements...

"Margaret Atwood, this is for you and all of the women who came before you and after you, who were brave enough to speak out against intolerance and injustice and to fight for equality and freedom in this world. We no longer live in the blank white spaces at the edge of print. We no longer live in the gaps between the stories. We are the story in print. And we are writing the story ourselves."

5. The moment when Amy Poehler called Seth Meyers out for mansplaining...

"I’m a woman in Hollywood, Seth. We’ve all been through a lot. I don’t need a set up to make a punchline work...Oh another apology. How wonderful.”

SO. MUCH. SASS.

6. When Laura Dern expressed her hopes for today's youth...

"Many of us were taught not to tattle. It was a culture of silencing and that was normalized. I urge all of us to not only support survivors and bystanders who are brave enough to tell their truth, but to promote restorative justice."

7. The time when Natalie Portman went off-script and called out Hollywood's gender diversity problem...

[And cue the awkward and uncomfortable faces of the male nominees...]

8. When Barbra Streisand was horrified upon learning that she is the ONLY female Golden Globe award-winner for “Best Director”...

“Backstage I heard they said I was the only woman…to get the ‘Best Director’ award, and you know, that was 1984? That was 34 years ago? Folks, time’s up! We need more women directors and more women to be nominated for ‘Best Director’. There are so many films out there that are so good directed by women.”

9. And, of course, the moment when Oprah thanked Sidney Poitier in her acceptance speech for the prestigious Cecil B. de Mille Award and expressed her hopes that she will inspire young girls in the same way...

"In 1964, I was a little girl sitting on the linoleum floor of my mother's house in Milwaukee, watching Anne Bancroft present the Oscar for Best Actor at the 36th Academy Awards. She opened the envelope and said five words that literally made history: 'The winner is Sidney Poitier.'

Up to the stage came the most elegant man I had ever seen. I remember his tie was white, and, of course, his skin was black, and I had never seen a black man being celebrated like that. And I have tried many, many, many times to explain what a moment like that means to a little girl, a kid watching from the cheap seats, as my mom came through the door bone-tired from cleaning other people's houses.

In 1982, Sidney received the Cecil B. DeMille Award right here at the Golden Globes, and it is not lost on me that, at this moment, there are some little girls watching as I become the first black woman to be given this same award. It is an honor—it is an honor and it is a privilege to share the evening with all of them and also with the incredible men and women who've inspired me, who've challenged me, who've sustained me and made my journey to this stage possible."

What was your favorite moment at the 75th Golden Globe Awards? Tweet at me @missjulia1207!