The Legacy Of Michael Phelps

The Legacy Of Michael Phelps

The most decorated Olympian hangs it up.

217
The Legacy Of Michael Phelps
Youtube

One of the best athletes we’ll ever see compete likely has finished his career. Michael Phelps, who continued his domination in the pool, proved that he once again has what it takes to dominate the sport of swimming. Although the 2016 Rio games will likely be his last major swimming competition, his legacy will last forever. Phelps, who finished with five gold medals and one silver medal is the most decorated olympian of all time. With 23 golds, three silvers and two bronze medals, Phelps has won more medals than most countries will win combined at this year’s olympic games.

Michael Phelps dominated the sport of swimming, unlike we’ve ever seen in any other sport ever. Phelps participated in five olympics, and managed to win all 28 medals in four olympic games. He participated in the 2000 olympic games at the age of 15, but did not medal in that particular year. Many will make the argument that Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete ever, however, since Phelps was given many opportunities to win medals, it would be hard to compare him to any other athlete. Phelps will go down as the most decorated athlete, but being marked as the greatest athlete ever would be a tough argument to prove.

Phelps was able to create a narrative that many athletes can relate to, a comeback story in which many athletes face some form of adversity throughout their careers. When Phelps was 19 he was arrested for DUI, and then later in 2009, a photo surfaced of Phelps smoking out of a bong which stirred controversy. In 2014, he was arrested again for another DUI and speeding. This seemed to be a turning point in Phelps life as he went on to win five golds and one silver in the 2016 Rio olympics. Phelps said he is at peace with his decision to retire, and that he will have no regrets retiring after the 2016 games because he put his all into training for the Rio games. Many believe that Phelps medal count will stand as the most medals for years to come, however, young swimming star Katie Ledecky has a solid chance at catching Phelps if she continues on pace from her great first olympics in Rio. Ledecky, who is only 19 years old, won four golds and one silver for five total medals in the 2016 rio games. Ledecky, who set two world records in her first olympic games dominated the the final of the 800 meter freestyle winning by 11 seconds. As the olympics come to a close, and Phelps chapter closes, Ledecky will look to fill the void in the 2020 olympic games in Japan as the go-to olympic swimmer to watch during prime time.