Sorry Cleveland, Lebron Is Definitely Leaving Again

Though not set in stone, LeBron James is believed to take advantage of his free agency this year.

181
Youtube

This is the bad breakup story of LeBron James and Cleveland. Not just the Cavaliers, but all of Cleveland. We've seen it once before when he chose Miami over his home state in 2010 and we may see it again after all that's happened within the matter of a day.

On February 8, just hours before the NBA trade deadline, the Lakers traded Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. to the Cavs in exchange for Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and a 2018 first-round pick. That same day, Dwayne Wade was also traded back to the Heat.

So, after the Cavs' team was disassembled overnight, the question remains as to whether LeBron will stay loyal to Cleveland or flee once again. Being the best player of his generation, he has the power and option to pretty much go wherever he wants. He has proved his power in influencing free agency movements of other players and various roster moves. And now, after years of success with the Cavs, it is unlikely that they reach the Finals this year. Although they currently sit two games ahead of the Bucks in their division, they are 6.5 games back in the Eastern Conference - behind strong Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics teams.

Unless the Cavs turn themselves around, come July, we may be looking at an entirely new NBA. James will be entering free agency and his fear of leaving Cleveland and the fan's hopes of him finishing his career there have dissipated.

NBA insider Chris Sheridan tweeted at the beginning of the season: "This will be LeBron's final season in Cleveland. He is 100 percent leaving. Relationship with owners is beyond repair." As a well-respected voice in the NBA and first reporter to announce James' return to Cleveland in 2014, his word is reputable.

Discussing options is where it gets tricky. Could the Celtics be a real contender to pick James up in July? Would the NBA actually allow the Warriors to poach him? Could he revert to the familiar and meet Wade in Miami again? All questions the man himself will have to contemplate. Along with rumors of the 76ers and Rockets… but my guess? The Lakers.

The Lakers could have a real shot if they seem interested, and with rumors of Paul George ending up there as well – James may find that riveting. Los Angeles also has plenty of young talent paired with a recently acquired first-round draft pick and a skilled coach. Although in this scenario, he would be leaving the Eastern Conference and not on the Warriors, which makes it difficult to picture him raking in more rings anytime soon. It does seem as though they’re clearing cap space to do so, however.

Either way, if James leaves Cleveland this July, there will be a seismic shift in the NBA’s atmosphere. But, if the Cavs have unprecedented success this season (aka another championship), he may stay put.

But between you and me, that’s not happening.