Leaving Your Mom For College When She's Your Best Friend
Life Stages

Mom, I Know You're Only 20 Minutes Away, But It Feels Like So Much More

A tribute to my amazing mother and all of our fond memories.

596
Sedona Meadows

To all my fellow incoming freshman... you must understand the pain of leaving your loved-ones behind as we are about to embark on this new journey. For me, I've been having a continuous feeling of excitement and curiosity but also a feeling of sadness in knowing my home will no longer be my home.

As I get down to the last couple of weeks in my sheltered suburbia, I think back to all of the things I have taken for granted. I think about how easy it is to visit my best friends who live just five minutes away and I think about nights I lay in my bed cuddling with my cat who acts like a dog. But the biggest thing I think about is how easy it is to turn to my mom when I need help.

My mom has been my best friend since the day I was born. She has loved me unconditionally and has supported me in all of my ideas and diverse passions.

When they say a mother's love is like no other, they are right.

Since I was little, my mom has always made it a point to talk to me like I'm an adult making it easy for me to express myself without any condescension. I began drinking coffee at the age of 5 (they were practically just glasses of milk... but still... thank you, mom, for the coffee addiction). And we made it a tradition to have a cup of coffee together every Saturday morning. We have barely ever missed that time together and if we do, we make up the coffee date somewhere else in the week.

During our "Saturday Mocha Mornings", I have the ability to tell her everything that happened in my week. It normally turns into me asking for advice about certain situations. She has always had the answers. She knows when to listen, when to give her input and most importantly when to let me know when I must reflect on my own actions. Over the years there has been a lot of laughs and a lot of tears. And as time has progressed we've had to cut those mornings short to get on with our busy lives.

I remember when we would talk about the future and how once I went to college we would have to FaceTime for our coffee dates.

Now, the future is here and reality has struck.

I don't know what my life will look like and how we will plan everything but I know we will make time for each other. It won't be as easy as it used to be and I am forever thankful for our Netflix nights in when I was feeling down and our lunch dates. She has been my rock when times get tough and it will be so weird to know she's not just down the hall.

But, on the bright side, there are plenty of coffee shops by the dorms that my mom and I can check out on the weekends. I mean, let's face it, I'm only 20 minutes away from home.

My mother has shown me what independence looks like and has enabled me to branch out on my own. She has taught me to stand up for what's right and to work hard at whatever I do. She has shown me kindness and exactly how to treat others. She is a warrior, a humanitarian, and a role model to all.

Thank you, mom, for preparing me for the world and allowing me to spread my wings.

Til our next mocha morning!

I love you! xoxo