I'll Be 21 Next Week, And There are Some Things I Am Happy To Leave Behind At 20

Mistakes, we all make them but only some of us are able to fully admit to what we've done in the past. It's so simple to make these mistakes, yet it's even harder to own up to them and take action. At the age of 20, I was more impulsive with my words and created unnecessary obstacles that would make things much harder for me in the future. This was something that I didn't know was detrimental to some of my friendships, and it took a lot to realize that. As I reflect on those mistakes, it upsets me that I even did these things as I've been able to see the impact that it left on others as well as myself. Words can start as phrases and result in actions that could negatively push someone to their breaking point. I've realized how I was wrong, and I'm more than careful these days in how I approach situations.

We have to grow as we go, as horrible as it is sometimes. Not everyone is going to understand your growth and support you along the way although you've made these mistakes. It's okay that some people do leave, just look around at those who have stayed. Sometimes we take those people for granted because we forget they are there, and that's something I've been guilty of too. The more that we look around and thank the ones that we do have, the better that those friendships will be in the long run. Every day there are new things that we encounter as humans and new people that we meet who shape us into the people we are daily. I am beyond thankful for every single person that I've met on my walk of life so far, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I'm glad I've made my mistakes and didn't bite my tongue at times. If I never made these mistakes, I would have never grown into realizing that these things were wrong and affected people I love and care about. I'll never envy growth because how would I change? I'll be 21 next week and I want to maintain my growth and show myself and the ones I love how these tribulations have shaped me into a better person. If a day could come that some of the people I've hurt in the past would be able to speak to me again, I would be nothing but fortunate. I love hard, and care compassionately and always will have those empathetic feelings within my personality. Those traits have gotten me in trouble in the past, but it's all about learning how to use them for good in the long run.

So, at 21 I want to strive to be the best version of myself and love the world and the people in it as much as possible. I'm going to make more mistakes, but I want to keep growing and surrounding myself with people who bring out the best version of this 21-year-old. In my opinion, everyone deserves a second chance and it's what they do with it that counts. You'll always remember your impression of the person based on their actions, but it's what they do with their life that actually matters. Life is short, and the people on this universe all want the same thing which is some type of love that we all strive for. At 21, I hope to find more of the love on this universe and bring that into other peoples lives. Everything comes full circle, and I want to be a positive part of that as much as I can.