Why Politics Needs To Be Left Out Of Sports
Parents

Politics Needs to Be Left Out of Sports

A perspective on the right and wrong place for politics in sports.

324
Football Stadium, Lights, Signs

Daddy took me to the (American) football game today, and it was a lot of fun until I went to the hospital.

So, what happened was that after we got into the stadium, daddy and I went to our seats, and we were surrounded by other people who wore the same jersey as us; we all supported our home team. I remember that when I told him that I was hungry, he got up, waved to one of the guys carrying food and drinks, and bought me a hot dog and a Coca Cola; it was good.

I got bored, and after a while, started to watch the other people around me. I saw many of them wearing the red jersey, along with red caps with the words "Make America Great Again". I didn't know what it meant, but I also saw some kids my age wearing it too. I asked daddy if I could have one, but he said no.

My dad took me to an NBA press conference today, and I had a great time, but there was a part of it that I didn't understand.

So, after watching a great game where my home team beat this other team from New York, my dad and I walked out of the stands, and into a separate room. In this room, there were a lot of people carrying cameras and notebooks; my dad brought his journal with him.

Then, all of the basketball players from my team walked into the room and sat down on the chairs! I shouted out my favorite player's name, and he actually waved back at me; I was so happy! I turned to my dad to tell him this, but he was writing in his journal, and I didn't want to bother him.

At the football game, I started talking to this other kid named Mark, and we got along very well! He and I both love football and even go to nearby schools! I talked with him for a long time about our favorite player, #45, and our dads even traded phone numbers for a playdate! The only thing that was weird is that daddy and Mark's dad acted a little awkward; my dad had a shirt that had a large "H" with an arrow on it.

Mark and I then cheered when our team walked out onto the field and booed loudly when the other team came out too. Both of our dad's told us to hush when we booed; "it was bad sportsmanship" they both said.

Everything was going well until the National Anthem started, then things got violent. When our favorite player, #45, and some of the others kneeled when the song played, many people to my right began to boo loudly; Mark's dad was one of them. When I looked to my left though, many other people began to clap, daddy was one of them. When daddy and Mark's dad saw this, they yanked Mark and me away from each other.

Right before the press conference began, my dad and I sat next to some of the reporters, and some of them asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. "I want to be like my dad," I said, and many of them smiled and laughed. When the coach said that the players were ready for their questions, my dad was one of the first to raise his hand.

After answering a couple of players' questions, my dad was called on, and he asked "Johnny, we heard that you recently supported the kneel. But, I want to ask, how can you support this action when it disrespects the military?"

"Well, Robert, the kneel is not intended to disrespect the military but to protest the treatment of people of color by police and such. In fact, if they wanted to disrespect the pledge of allegiance, a better way to do it would be to sit on the ground while it plays. Furthermore, the players are exercising their freedom of speech, as was done in Texas v. Johnson where the American flag was burned. It's simply freedom of speech."

My dad sat down angrily and wrote rapidly in his journal. The rest of the reporters then continued to ask Robert about his stance on this, but it was very peaceful.

Daddy and Mark's dad then started to yell at each other. "The kneel is disrespecting our men and women in the military!" Mark's dad said. "No, it is not! The kneel is meant to protest against the police brutality that African Americans are experiencing in this country! Why would they pledge their allegiance to a country that doesn't treat them equally!" Daddy said.

Then both Mark's dad and daddy started to yell louder and louder until they started punching each other. Both Mark and I tried to get our dads to stop, but they kept on going at it. Then daddy fell on me.

"And after the press conference, my dad and I drove home, had some leftover pizza, and went to bed," I said to my mom. "Well, I still don't like it how you guys got back so late, but I'm glad you had fun," my mom said. "Now eat your breakfast so you won't be late for school".

"Then I woke up in a hospital," I told Jerry; he was a guy I spoke to after the football game. I come into his office once a week, and he just asks me questions like "How are you feeling?" and stuff.

"Well, I'm glad that you remember all of it now Mike," Jerry said. "Now, ask your dad if next Thursday around 4:30 pm would be great for us to talk again"

"Will do!" I said. "Ouch," I said when my arm cast hit the door on my way out.