10 Things I Learned My First Semester Of College

The good, the bad and the in-between.

55

It's hard to believe that my first semester of college has officially come to an end. As I snuggle up next to my dog, in my cozy, slightly over-decorated home for the holiday season, I can't help but reminisce on all that I learned, discovered and enjoyed in four short months.

1. I can function on my own!

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly scared to be on my own in a new state, maneuvering the ways of life. I am fairly independent, but that doesn't mean I am not sad that my mom is not by my side when I need her. After what seemed like only a week, I was confident I could make it work. I was doing my laundry, getting up on time for all of my classes and remembering to throw in a vegetable or two with dinner. Go me!

2. People mind their business.

In high school, what so-and-so did last weekend spread to the entire student body by Monday morning, and if someone dared to add blue dye to their hair, the news circling by lunch. In college, nobody cares. That doesn't mean no one notices, I've witnessed a few fashion crimes, but my first thought wasn't too text my friend about it. Everyone is busy, everyone has too many things on their mind to really care what the person next to them is doing. That's how things should be.

3. I took my mom's cooking for granted.

I vividly remember sitting in the dining hall for the first time and thinking to myself, "Oh this isn't too bad, I can make this work." Little did I know that in just two short weeks, I would be begging for fresh fruit and my mother's lemon-grilled chicken.

4. Every frat party is about the same.

Sweaty. Loud. Dirty. Sticky. Somewhere in the distance, Mr. Brightside is playing loudly. That is all.

5. 9ams are the new 7ams!

I’m not sure how I ever managed to get up for school before 7 am, but I surely cannot do that now. It doesn’t matter how much of a morning person you think you are, doing anything earlier than 9 am is only setting yourself up for another coffee run in the afternoon.

6. A lot of people are trying to start over

College is a whole new chapter in a person’s life. This new chapter means changes, and a lot of my friends and people that I have talked to always said the same thing to me, “I’m just so excited I got a chance to start over.” Whatever each individual is running from or trying to forget, college is a great place to completely change who you were in high school.

7. The weeks fly by a lot faster than they did in high school.

There was a time where I thought high school went by fast and four years felt like one month. Now that I've completed my first semester of college I can safely conclude that four months feels like one week. Does time ever slow down?

8. School is a lot more exciting when you are learning about something you're genuinely interested in

Sure, I still have those pesky GE classes to get through, but overall being able to take a class that is focused on what I want to do for a living is super cool. Not only are those classes fun, but they are beneficial in the long run because I get a better idea of what exactly I want to pursue in my career.

9. Having school spirit is NOT overrated!

It's actually encouraged! Say goodbye to the days of feeling like it's "weird" to go all out during high school rally weeks. Nothing beats game day and being able to cheer with all of your friends in the student section. The tailgates are a plus too!

10. It's been a whirlwind of fun!

If my first four months of college have left me with stories, smiles, and friends, I can only imagine what the rest of my four years will look like. College truly is the best four years of your life and it's refreshing to know I made the perfect college choice for me! I look forward to what new memories I will make as this journey continues.