10 Things I Learned In College

10 Things I Learned In College

They really are the best four years of your life

6
10 Things I Learned In College
Katheryn Sullivan

Reflecting on my four years of college, I realize how many lessons I learned, mistakes I made, and memories I created.

When I think about the four years I spent working towards a degree that’s supposed to change my life, I’m thrown into a pool of nostalgia, remembering everything I was taught by professors, friends, enemies, and random strangers.

These thoughts make me think, what exactly did I leave college with?

Though I haven’t been out of college for long, I can confidently say that I left college with much more than a piece of paper and an over-priced cap and gown.

I left college as a new person.

I left college as a strong, confident, intelligent young professional.

I left college with four years of invaluable lessons, all of which no ceremony, tuition bill, or GPA ranking can define.

Basically, I learned…

1. Independence is freeing, but also kind of scary

Though I was ready to fly away from the nest, it took a couple false starts and drops to the ground before I got the hang of things.

2. A lot of people don’t know how to make decisions for themselves

Something I still struggle to understand, seeing as I was told I had to choose which Barbie to get and which shoes to wear since pre-school. This made making decisions, big or small, easier for me than it was for most people I know.

3. Or do things for themselves

Like laundry—it’s really not that hard.

4. There are a lot of people there to help you

Except, most of us either don’t want the help or are too embarrassed or shy to ask for it. This is something I wish I would’ve taken more advantage of. From professors to advisors to counselors to tutors, college is absolutely filled with resources dedicated to helping students succeed.

5. It’s expensive

And you will be poor. College kids are basically meant to be poor—I’m not sure why, but that’s just how it is. Learn how to make a budget and manage your money. If you have loans, don’t let them hold you back from making the most of college, but also be aware of how much you’re taking out. Prioritize your spending; it’s challenging, but I believe everyone can do it. Even though it’s expensive AF, don’t let money be the reason you don’t make the most of college.

6. It’s so much freaking fun

I can’t even put into words how much fun college is. Seriously, make the effing most of it. Walk slowly, spend more time outside than watching Netflix, and do every single thing on your college bucket list.

7. It seriously flies by

Overused and underrated, but so very true. Take advantage of the time, the people, and the experiences you have there. And for goodness sake, take your time. Don’t rush turning 21, getting your first serious relationship, or your study process. Be mindful and present, enjoying the short moments you have at this magical place.

8. Some people are really awful and others are the most incredible people you’ll ever meet

I met my life-long friends in college—we even have a name for our group. But I was also broken by way too many people in college. Getting hurt by other people is a part of life, so instead of letting the hurt control you, be proactive and thankful, focusing on those who are there for you, not those who aren’t. But also, hurt if you need to. Each time you’re hurt, you’re becoming stronger, learning who you want in your life and who belongs on the curb.

9. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is one of the best things you can do

Whether it’s by taking an untraditional class like bowling or joining intramural ultimate Frisbee, do things you otherwise wouldn’t be able to do. Wear pajamas to class (or the bar, if that’s your thing). Dance on tables, wear ridiculous clothes, smile at people you don’t know (they might not smile back, FYI), go to a free movie put on by the university activities board—do all the things because why the heck not?

10. Be true to yourself

Even if you don’t know who you are. Arguably, I would say most college kids have no freaking clue who they are, and that is a-okay, promise! You don’t need to have everything figured out until the time is right for you. There are no rules saying you have the be thin, fat, cute, ugly, smart, funny, in Greek life—there are no rules limiting you from being who you are or discovering the person you’re meant to be. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable, doing what you want to do even if it’s not the norm or the preferred course of action. And for the sake of all things good, don’t compare yourself to other people, it will do your no good at all, that’s a guarantee.

College is all about learning to adult, a pre-cursor to the big bag world where you’re no longer a college person, but a real person. Make mistakes. Party. Don’t party. Skip class if you want to. Choose a major you want. Do things you want. Be the person your post-college self will reflect on with a smile and a sense of pride, remembering the crazy shit, the painful times, and the irreplaceable memories you made.