What It's Like Living In The Houston, TX Heat And Humidity
Nature Animals

Heat And Humidity, Oh My: What I Learned About Houston From Actually Living There

I always question how am I living through this heat.

107
Houston skyscrapers

I am living in Houston for the summer. I know what you're thinking: "Why would you do that to yourself?" or "How are you surviving?" You are right, many times I ask myself, "How did I end up in Texas?" I really love Texas. It's a great state. However, you cannot beat Cape Cod in the summer. So why did I decide to stay here? First, it was my choice (kind of). I got an internship opportunity that I really couldn't miss. However, the internship means I am living in Houston for the summer, while all my family and friends are chilling on the beach watching the sunset on a perfect summer night. I know, I'm crying too. I miss those perfect summer moments. However, Houston actually offers a lot.

Let me just inform you about things that I learned from being in Houston this summer.

One of the biggest things that Houston is known for is its humidity. It makes it so hot that you cannot go outside. The humidity kills you and your hair. I would do my hair so it would look perfect, then the moment I step outside it looks like I haven't brushed it. So I just throw my hair up in a ponytail and call it a day.

You will sweat. Everyone will sweat. You just have to admit this and go about your day. There is no way to prevent it.

The other terrible thing about Houston is the bipolar weather. It would be beautiful sunny in the morning, then at 1:30 p.m. there is a downpour. I am not talking about a nice summer rainfall. NOPE. It is a crazy storm where you can't see out the window, and it's even worse when you're driving. One second you can see and then the next you are blinded by the rain. If anyone has any advice what to do with this weather, please let me know.

I grew up in a small town, so I am still getting used to this huge city. I am used to cities like Boston or Washington D.C., but Houston is just another level when it comes from a city. People don't lie when they "everything is bigger in Texas." Since the city is so big you need to drive and there is no public transportation.

The drivers in Houston are the absolute worst. I am confused because what about southern hospitality? For real, people do not care. They just swerve lanes. Nothing close to having a southern hospitality.

With all those negative things about Houston, it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. I am just bitter that I am not laying on the beach now. Houston is very diverse in their culture and food. They have a lot of museums, parks, and different activities. And it is an only an hour from Galveston.

Galveston is not the nicest beach, but the water is really warm. You just have to overlook the color. It's a nice spot since I miss being on the beach. It will fulfill the need for the salty water and air.

Houston has so many options for dinner it is difficult to decide. And their Tex-Mex is to die for. They have Italian, American, and any type of food you are in the mood for. The food trucks are surprisingly good.

The location is not bad for being Texas. It is about an hour from Galveston, 2 hours from Austin, and 3 hours from Dallas.

They have free play at an outdoor theater, which is a great way to spend a Friday night. Or there are a couple of parks if you can survive being outside.

There is a lot of shopping, and I am lucky enough to work right next to the Galleria. This is a huge mall that has a lot of nice stores. Most of the time I just window shop. Also, Rice Village has a lot of upper scale boutiques that are really nice to look at until you see the price tag.

Downtown Houston has some nice rooftop bars that are fun to hang out with friends. Some have games to play so if you are competitive, you can make it an interesting match.

Overall, Houston is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The biggest thing is if you get over the humidity and traffic, then Houston is a great city. Houston is very diverse in everything that it has to offer.