speak up

I'm learning to speak up

I'm too scared to ask for what I want.

163
https://www.instagram.com/emma_looby/
Emma Looby

I know I am not alone when I say that I don't always explicitly ask for things because I don't want to cause problems or extra work for anyone. I also have this fear of being shot down (even though this guaranteed to happen many more times in my lifetime). So, instead, I make do with what I have. This includes tiny situations like ordering a medium iced coffee from the Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru and being given a small straw when I wanted a large one and more important situations like not speaking with my boss when I think I am not being paid enough.

As I have gotten older, I've realized this fear not only prevents me from standing up for myself, but it also allows others to take advantage of me. I don't fully understand why I am continuously scared of speaking up. I know there's a possibility someone can refute what I am saying or prove me wrong but is that truly a substantial reason to not use my voice and ask for something? I also understand the world won't end if these things do happen, as they happen quite often, so why does the fear still linger?

I am very tired of being pushed around and walked over because people know I don't like to open my mouth and say something. From now on, I have to put on my big girl pants and speak up for myself if I want to bring something to someone's attention. I would be the first person to speak out for someone else if he or she needed something and too scared to say something, therefore it is time I do the same for myself. I deserve to insert my voice no matter the size of the issue.

I encourage everyone that shares my same fear to take a deep breath and ask for what they want or need. I know it is scary, but we don't deserve to be pushed aside because we aren't as forward as others.

I'm very happy to say that when I picked up my Dunkin' Donuts medium iced coffee this morning I was handed the smaller straw. I then asked for the bigger one.