Follow The Leader

Follow The Leader

What makes a good leader?

46
Follow The Leader
Mabus Agency

I’ve never been much of a leader, at least, not by society’s standards. I’m not aggressive and I don’t like to push others around. I don’t like having all of the power and I don’t like being the center of attention. I don’t like to demand respect, I’d rather receive it because I have earned it. Society generally looks at leaders as people of great knowledge, power and wealth. But as we’ve seen in history, just because a person possesses these characteristics, it does not mean that it qualifies them as a “good leader.”

So what makes a good leader? I’m still learning this as I grow in my faith. But I’ve met good leaders in my life. These are the people who genuinely care about others. They want to help others mature and learn. They won’t ask others below them to do something that is too difficult, not without the proper training. They won’t place outrageous expectations on others. Most importantly, they give others respect despite the fact that they are the authority.

I personally believe that a good leader also knows how to follow. Following Christ’s example is the best way to become a good leader. Following His commands to love others will make a world of difference. We can see the results of this everywhere. I think of the workplace because if employers show love and respect, they are more likely to have loyal and trustworthy employees. Respect = love. If a person feels loved, they are so much more likely to respond well to their leaders. Unfortunately, many workplaces aren’t like this. They do not have leaders that show respect to those below them. Employees are treated like trash, and shoulder overwhelming expectations. How can a business expect to keep employees that are not even treated like humans? A good business should put people, whether it be employees or patrons, first.

Our world is run by leaders--governments, schools, businesses and churches. If we do not have good leaders, what good is society? If a place of business, church, school, etc. is not under good leadership it will most likely fail. Sometimes failure happens rapidly. I feel that America itself is a good example of what happens when there is poor leadership. I hate to think of what our forefathers would say if they saw what was happening in the world today.

Of course, I can’t change the leadership that happens in our government or anywhere else. But I can make a difference in whatever leadership role that I have. As a manager, oldest daughter, wife (and hopefully one day, mother), I can be someone that others can look to as someone who gives respect, trust and understanding.

What kind of leader will you be?