15 Things Today's 20-Somethings Are Tired Of Hearing But KEEP Hearing Anyway

You don't have to keep repeating yourself.
66

We all reach that point in our life where we stop being kids and are expected to know exactly how to be an adult. It’s like the minute we reach 18-year-old you are on your own, regardless if you actually are or not. You are expected to go from being a kid one moment to being an adult the next and have all the knowledge that comes with it.

The reality of this is we don’t have that knowledge and are left with the older generation constantly telling us things that begin to annoy us. So, without further ado, here is a list of things my generation, including myself, are tired of hearing.

1. “You need an education.”

Yeah, well, that education is expensive and most the time parents don’t understand how time-consuming and difficult it is.

2. “You need a job.”

OK, so you want me to get an education and have a job? That’s a difficult task to uphold when you are full time at both, speaking from personal experience. This leads to a burnout.

3. “You need a license.”

So, I know this might not be a big problem for most but for me it is. I got so busy with school that the license became an afterthought and I am regretting that now.

4. “You are too young to be this tired.”

Well, when you have two jobs and go to school, and have a relationship to maintain it becomes difficult to get all the sleep and nutrition you need.

5. “I’d hate to see what your house looks like when you get your own place.”

Look, I know how to clean. Just, at this point in my life, I lack the time to actually do it right. Don’t let the lack of time confuse you, I am a cleanly person.

6. “You’ll understand when you’re older.”

Just because I haven’t been in the same experience as you doesn’t mean I don’t have the knowledge to understand the situation. Don’t confuse young for naïve.

7. “Don’t grow up so fast.”

Then stop telling me these are the most important years of my life that will make or break my future.

8. “Your generation is so lazy.”

This may be true but don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Don’t lump me in with the rest of my generation because I was raised with a good work ethic.

9. “You’re too young to know what love is.”

Well, I feel how I feel. To me, this is what love is and who’s to say you know what love is?

10. “It’s not the end of the world.”

Well, at that moment it is, so let me think it is. It may not be the end of the world but could be the end of a chapter we are not ready to let go of.

11. “You shouldn’t be on technology so much.”

Yeah, well, if I wasn’t then I would actually have to deal with my problems and then I would always be sad. Just kidding. In all honesty, I get to connect with people all over the world and that makes me happy, so technology is a good thing.

12. “When I was your age …”

OK, well, that was like three decades ago and times have changed.

13. “These are supposed to be the best times of our life.”

The keyword here is “supposed to be.” I would love to be having a good time, but I can’t because you are expecting too much from me.

14. “Don’t let a boy/girl ruin your life.”

Look I need you to believe that I am strong enough to make my own decisions and to know what is best for me.

15. “We just want what’s best for you.”

I want what’s best for me too, and a lot of times what you think is best for me and what I think is best for me are two entirely different things.

This is MY life. Good looking out though.