Being a Lazy Aspiring Novelist

Being a Lazy Aspiring Novelist

Somebody just get me to do something

9
Being a Lazy Aspiring Novelist
Playbuzz

Although I am going to college this fall to begin my journey as a journalism major, my true goal is to one day be a novelist. I want to have my books talked about by everyone, and to truly leave something behind one day when I am gone. To do this, I know it will take hard work, creativity, and plenty of coffee. My plan is perfect for me, aside from one major core problem: I am impressively lazy.

Now I know that for the most part, I've been lazy throughout my life. I put off laundry and other chores until the last minute, and I often decide that the remote is just too far away to warrant getting out of bed to change the channel. But to be just as lazy when it comes to doing something I'm truly passionate about? That's beyond irritating. It's not like I haven't tried to do something about this problem, I just get distracted easily when writing. In fact, just in the time I have spent writing this, I have read every Paul Krugman opinion piece from the past month, watched two videos about the string theory, and changed my music at least four times. It's bad.

And how has this laziness translated to my novel writing? Well as it stands, I have two solid ideas that need only the point of views figured out, and I have yet to do that. Aside from those two ideas, I have four or five other ideas that I have not fully planned out. I have all of these ideas, but I lack the focus to do anything about it. The saddest part of this all, is that it's only me that's holding me back from writing. I have my dream within reach, and here I am researching Billy Joel tickets instead of developing the core values of my protagonist (but in my defense, Joel puts on one hell of a show). The only thing that keeps me sane about my problem is the common knowledge of writers being the worst procrastinators. I know one day everything will come together, but it can't be today. I'll put it off until at least tomorrow.