If You Never Learned About The Murder Of Latasha Harlins, You Must Watch 'A Love Song For Latasha' On Netflix

She wanted to be more than a statistic and this beautiful documentary gives her and her family that gift.

1072

Netflix's new documentary, "A Love Song For Latasha" is all about 15-year-old Latasha Harlins who was unjustly shot over a $1.79 bottle of orange juice.

Her story is often associated with the 1992 Los Angeles race riots, which were a series of civil uproar after footage of Rodney King being kicked and beaten with batons by four members of the LAPD was "seared into the American consciousness."

For Black Americans, these killings were symbols of threats and racial indifference. What's more is that Harlin's 51-year-old murderer, Soon Ja Du, avoided jail time and instead had probation, which further points to the great criminal injustice drilled into American history.

Nevertheless, the 20-minute documentary is all about honoring and celebrating Harlin's life.

Director Sophia Nahli Allison chose not to focus on the circumstances that surrounded Harlin's death, but instead, her life and spirit: "I wanted to rebuild this history and this archive for Latasha because there are a lot of L.A. natives that still don't really know who she is."

To bring awareness to Latasha's life, the documentary is narrated by women who loved Latasha to pieces and want to celebrate her precious life. Latasha's best friend Ty and cousin Shinese recall the little moments of Latasha's life, like singing to "Stand By Me" as it played from a jukebox and eating fries – the simple things in life that we all take for granted. Latasha is undoubtedly missed but never forgotten.

Latasha was the neighborhood big sister and is remembered for being the only girl on the basketball court. She wanted to be more than a statistic and this beautiful documentary gives her and her family that gift. Latsha Harlin was a strong, talented young adult who loved life and was ready to challenge the world.

With all of the unrest, racism, and injustice we face today decades later, it's important to take some time and remember those we have lost, including Latasha Harlin. Before the Black Lives Matter movement, there were still challenges with the criminal justice system and unjust racially charged killings, and we will still continue to urge society to unite against racial discrimination.