12 Last Minute To-Do's Before College

12 Last Minute To-Do's Before College

Last minute things to do before you peace out.

1263
12 Last Minute To-Do's Before College

The time of the year when college freshmen are actually preparing to go to college is already coming to a close. For those who procrastinated, or felt incredibly overwhelmed that first week, here's some advice to those who will get to do this next year.

1. Start packing a week in advance.

This one probably seems a tad ridiculous, but it's helpful. Odds are good that you will end up packing way more than you initially intended, so it' s always a good thing to pack sooner than the night before so you have time to collect all the clothes. Plus, if you start packing several days before the move, you'll likely look in those boxes 500 times before loading them into the car. That's 500 times to realize you're forgetting something vital like a toothbrush or day planner.

2. Finish all summer assignments.

The dead last thing you want is to have that book for history only halfway read the night before you leave. If you were assigned any books, papers, or projects to have complete for the first day of classes, get them off your plate no less than four days before moving. It'll help relieve a lot of the stress you're going to have the day before heading out.

3. Order your textbooks and ship them to your school.

Many upperclassmen are going to tell you to buy them in the bookstore or wait until you get to campus to order them. Wrong. College isn't like high school where your teachers tell you what to have. They might be lenient with you as a first year student, but they still expect you to be prepared. Shop online for the cheapest books and order them a week or two in advance so you can plan ahead for lost orders, delays, etc.

4. Clean your room.

If your mother doesn't already enforce this one, I will. Cleaning may seem like just added work to do on top of packing, but coming home at Christmas to a made bed and empt floor will be so much better than immediately coming upon a pile of laundry you didn't feel like doing in August.

5. Make sure everything you have to order is ordered.

From a laptop to bedding, there are probably some things you plan to order online. Place these at least 7-10 days before departure so they arrive on time. If you're unsure about this, have them delivered to your mailbox at school. In the worst case-scenario, leave you parents money for stamps and a box so they can ship it to you when it arrives.

6. Take care of your at-home adulting.

If you have banking, doctors appointments, or something of the like to handle at home, do it no less than a week before leaving. On that note, make sure you have everything set up so you have access to your bank and things of that nature at school.

7. Spend all the time you can with your family.

Since you know you'll see them in a just a few months, this one could go down the drain because you don't deem it necessary to spend time with the people you just lived with for 18 years. Trust me though, you will suddenly want to snuggle with them so badly the first week you're at school.

8. Chat with your roommate.

For most, it's the first time sharing a room with somebody else. For some, it's the first time living with somebody of your own age period. If you plan to bring appliances or sharable household products, ask them about this so you don't end up with two microwaves or four sets of dishes. Plus, you probably want to interact with this human since you do have to live with them for 8 months.

9. Write graduation thank you notes (and mail them).

If you had a graduation party, you probably got some booty out of that. Go to the drug store, buy 20 cards, write and mail them. This action is extremely polite and should be done no later than 4-6 after the party.

10. Let your parents be emotional.

For the first time ever, they are losing their baby for longer than summer camp weekend. They will probably want excessive hugs and cry a little. Even if it embarrasses you or makes you emotional, let them. Trust me on this.

11. Label your stuff.

A lot of colleges already ask you to do this so their student volunteers know where stuff is going, but it's still a good idea anyways so your stuff doesn't get lost in the wake of move-in. It's also a good idea to write your name or initials on stuff like water bottles, electronic charges and cases, and shower caddies. The likelihood you'll set something small down in the gym and accidentally leave without it is high for the first month of school. Labeling helps ensure your stuff is returned.

12. Have fun.

It's your last week of being a regular kid in your hometown. Hangout with friends, go swimming, have a campfire. College is going to be a huge amount of fun, but you'll still miss that house of yours by Christmas!