Victims of Larry Nassar: The Champions This Nation Needed

We thank you for your bravery and strength in the face of your abuse.

123
Chicago Tribune

We are told from a young age that we can trust our doctors. We can tell them information about ourselves, our bodies, and our lives in confidence, without worry of exploitation or mistrust. We can trust them to provide care when we need it. They are supposed to give us the necessary and proper treatment to live healthy lives. They are there to protect us.

Dr. Lawrence G Nassar has been an athletic coordinator for the USA Gymnastics team since 1986, being promoted all the way to Team USA Gymnastics Medical Coordinator. Nassar was also a leading physician and professor at Michigan State University. Nassar was trusted to give care to athletes and students; a mentor for these young people as they embark on their athletic and academic careers.

Instead, Nassar has now been sentenced to up to 175 years in jail, with over 150 female athletes coming forward, accusing Nassar of molestation and sexual abuse. Girl after girl has come forward, with their horror tales of the ways in which he abused and misused his power over them, taking away their innocence and manipulating them for his own sick, sexual enjoyment. In one account, Mattie Larson described how her “injury was very close to her pelvic bone, so when Larry put his fingers in my vagina for the first time, I thought it was some internal treatment.” The countless quotes and stories that came forth in trial are enough to make any sane, righteous human being feel sick to their stomachs for the trauma that these amazing women endured, most at such a young age.

The list of brave and incredible women who have come forward to serve justice is lengthy. Together, they have proved that survivors of sexual abuse can remain strong and are not defined nor destroyed by the disgusting injustice put against them. As Olympic gymnast and medalist Aly Raisman described in her statement of these women “We are here, we have our voices, and we are not going anywhere.”

Raisman delivered a strong and poignant statement that condemned the US Gymnastics and US Olympic council for their inability and irresponsibility to take action against the abuse going on right under their noses. Raisman also very beautifully articulated how this trial goes hand and hand with the ongoing “Me Too” movement, saying, “My dream is that one day, everyone will know what the words “Me Too” signify, but they will be educated and able to protect themselves from predators like Larry, so they will never, ever, ever have to say the words “Me Too.””

To the 150 young ladies who have come forward to put away this monster, we thank you. We thank you for your bravery to tell your stories in order to protect others from the same horrid experience you endured. We thank you for coming forward to ensure that a system that has historically protected demons like Nassar serves the justice it should. We thank you for sharing your stories in order to create a safer and better environment. Thank you, from all of us, for your courage, valor, and boldness. We are with you always and applaud your strength.

To Judge Aquilina, who sentenced Nassar to 175 years in prison, who was ferocious and unapologetic about the severity of both her punishment and disdain for the defendant, thank you for being a champion and warrior against this abuse. Our country and justice system has unfortunately become acquainted with judges such as Judge Persky, who sentenced Brock Turner to only six-months in prison for his crime. But, you have shown us what a fighter for the rights and protection of sexual abuse victims look like. You bring courage and utmost fearlessness to the stand. You faced the man who has inflicted so much pain and defended “You still think somehow you are right, you’re a doctor, that you’re entitled, so you don’t have to listen. That you did ‘treatment.’ I wouldn’t send my dogs to you, sir.” You recognized that his abuse was “precise, calculated, manipulative, devious, despicable,” and because of such awareness you were able to look this monster in the eye and state “I just signed your death warrant.”

And lastly, Larry Nassar. You received exactly what you deserve. You dare to write a letter in defense of yourself, stating that “what I did in the state cases was medical, not sexual,” that you were a “good doctor” and requested to stop the victims’ statements because you were “very concerned about [your] ability to be able to face witnesses this next four days mentally.” I’m sorry that you are mentally and emotionally unable to listen to the pain and suffering you have inflicted on so many people.

I apologize that you think the burden of your suffering outweighs your victims' right to speak out against the terrible things you have done. But, luckily for you, you have 175 years to sit in a cell and hear nothing but the sound of your own heartbeat and listen to nothing but the sound of your own voice. You are despicable and you make me sick. Judge Aquilina threw your letter away, and that is exactly where it deserved to go.

As Judge Aquilina so rightfully states, “Inaction is inaction. Silence is indifference. Justice requires an action and a voice and that’s what happened in this court.” In the end, the inaction of the institutions that protected Nassar were exposed and action was taken by the bravery of the women who came forward. And while nothing will make up for the horror and distress Nassar has caused these ladies, this is a major win against the ongoing battle of sexual abuse in our nation.