Instead Of Heart Eyes Over Peter Kavinsky, Let's Swoon Over Lara Jean

I don't know about you, but I stan a strong female character

84
https://www.themarysue.com/interview-jenny-han/

Ever since Jenny Han's trilogy created the now ever famous, "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" we've not only been blessed with a seriously great rom-com, but there have been many feelings towards this movie. Mostly, with one of the characters, aka this one:

Image result for peter kavinsky gif

Now, don't get me wrong, Peter Kavinsky (played by Noah Centineo) is not a sight for sore eyes. He's the ultimate crush with the devilish good hair and golden specks in his eyes.

But I am sick and tired of him getting all the praise.

Truth be told, I don't hate this character. When I first started reading the books way back in high school, I had a perfect image of what this character would look like and they really brought him to life. But we, as an audience, have become so infatuated with his charm, looks and all that "whoa, whoa, whoa," that we've completely looked past our star of the movie.

I'm talking about JARA JEAN SONG COVEY

Image result for lara jean gif

That's right, the strong female Asian character who is the ultimate reason for this movie and these books to have ever happened in the first place. She's the one who leads us throughout the movie and if there's anyone we should be giving the praise to and swooning over it's her.

1. She's a character you can relate to

Image result for lara jean love quote gif

When she talked about love and relationships being good in writing and her head, that it can only be temporary in life and she didn't want to get hurt, I felt that. She says everything that I think about in my mind or went through when I was her age and in high school. Her idea of being a hopeless romantic but only being able to write out her feelings to them instead of expressing it to them in real life, is something I could definitely relate to. Also, I was and still am a terrible driver too.

2. She has great fashion sense

Two words: those boots. Plus no matter what she wore she always looked good in it.

3. She could stand up for herself

In almost every movie you see it's always the guy coming to the girl's defense when getting picked on. But Lara Jean was able to stand up to her bully (Gen) herself and she never let her get to her through all the mean and manipulating things she did to her throughout the story.

4. She could bake some mean desserts

*Petition for the sequel to involve more of her baking please and thank you.* And the fact that she would've rather had stayed at home to bake cupcakes, than go to a party with Peter, truly showed that her heart will forever hold food first than boys.

5. She was not stereotyped

Obviously, the biggest thing to come from this movie is the downright incredible Asian representation. To not only have the starring female lead be Asian, but to also be given something other than the brainiac shadowed away in the corner. Lana Condor got her spotlight and she deserved it.

6. She was brave

When those letters came out, it felt like her life was ruined. Image having your secret admires getting a letter confessing your undying love for them? That's a perfectly good reason to want to hide away and not face the world. But, Lara Jean decided not to do that and instead used it to ultimately get what she wanted in the end: her happy ending.

7. She had a "quiet" confidence to her

Sure, she came off as shy and someone who stays in her room reading about love and writing love notes. But when she got out of the element and thrusted into a new scene, she thrived.

8. She has a special bond with her family

With the passing of her mother sprinkled throughout the story and the unbreakable bond between her sisters, Lara Jean always made sure to put her family first.

9. She was likableĀ 

Right from the beginning where you first hear her narrating, you want to root for this character. You want everything to work out for her and give her the ending she deserves. Yes, she goes through some tough times and has to climb over some obstable. But it's her compusre, persona and ability to never change herself that she became not only my favorite but hopefully others too.

There you have it. So before you go back to crushing on Peter, make sure to give some well deserved love to Lara Jean too.