Ladies, It's Time To Stop Judging Girls Who Wear Nike Shorts & Leggings

Your outfit does not define your motivation.

78

I could list many reasons as to why I love Odyssey so much. Above all, I love the way Odyssey allows millennials to explore the world of rhetoric in order to express their thoughts. With a chance that our words may influence thousands of readers, us writers have the opportunity to fully utilize our 1st amendment: freedom of speech.

With this being said, I honestly respect everyone's opinion and their right to share said opinion. However, this does not always mean that I will necessarily agree with that opinion.

What came to be the number one article on Odyssey for a number of days, and remains to be in the top 10, is the article labeled "Ladies, Nike Shorts And Leggings Are For The Gym, Nowhere Else." With thousands of shares and page views, the message that women need to start dressing up rather than rocking comfy gym clothes is rapidly spreading across the internet.

While I respect this writer and her eloquent way of writing, I am concerned about the message in which this article shares. A percentage of our readers are incoming college freshman. Writers are hoping to reach out to these young adults embarking upon the next big step, wishing to influence them positively. The article mentioned above mainly targets millennials in college, whereupon the writer makes the point that young women need to dress up for class.

She starts off by saying that she spends an hour each night with her facial routine and planning out outfits the night before. To this, I have to say, if that is something you enjoy doing, by all means, take four hours a night doing beauty rituals — if you have the time. However, I am speaking for the thousands of girls who were seemingly judged in this article.

Some of us don't have an hour to spare at night to follow a beauty routine. Us "ladies" who are so shamefully sporting athletic gear while not at the gym are too busy spending that hour studying our tails off, working long hours, or just relaxing after our chaotic day. Some of us prefer to be comfortable as we take on our day of hard classes; some of us really don't care what we look like because our passion and our drive lies within us, not draped upon our skin.

I really do love making fashion statements with cute finds at the mall, and creative abilities with my makeup. However, I dress up when I want to, because I want to. Not to impress other girls who are so quickly able to judge other women by the outfits they have on. We shouldn't be looking at women and deeming them "lazy" or labeling them as "careless" because they slipped on something last minute that they found as they ran out of their door. You saw their outfit, not their lives behind it. An outfit is not an expression of a girl's motivation.

To all of the readers out there that read that article and believed that college is a place where you need to dress up in order to fit in or look like you have your life together: take those words with a grain of salt. Wear a pantsuit, wear a potato sack. Heck, one girl in my class even came in wearing a unicorn onesie. If that is what makes you feel best or most comfortable wear whatever the heck you want. Your true friends are not going to judge you — and above all, you should not look at yourself in the mirror and judge yourself because of the way you look.

Worry about wardrobe when you have to dress up for that dream job interview, or when your career requires a dress code. Worry about wardrobe if it's something you think is fun to concern yourself with.

So, ladies, it's time to stop. Time to stop judging other girls by their exterior, to stop riding your high horse if you dress well, and most of all to stop worrying so much about other people. Worry about yourself and what makes you feel best.