How to Survive LA Traffic
Education

5 Ways To Survive LA Rush Hour, AKA Every Hour Of The Day

ETA 2:30 hours.

74

I'm honestly at my worst when I'm sitting in traffic. I'm cranky, I'm probably tired, and I get frustrated that it's going to take me hours to get to my destination. Moving to LA probably wasn't the best idea but here I am a year later surviving. But, if we're being real there were definitely times I thought my life was going to end here and there on the 405 South. You're quick to find out that rush hour in LA is pretty much every hour of the day. You're gonna have to encounter it sooner or later so you might as well find ways to get through it.

Make a rockin' playlist

It sucks when you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic and the only thing on the radio is the commercials on every station. Make yourself a traffic playlist to help you forget about how you're spending 20 minutes in the same spot. Sing along and dance it out y'all.

Have drinks and food readily available 

If you're driving while sleep deprived (it happens) or traffic makes you sleepy (me), then you better be prepared to keep yourself awake. Keep water on hand, grab a coffee before you head out, and make sure you have something to chew on to keep yourself awake. Have a pack of gum ready, a trail mix bar, or anything your heart desires.

Keep a pair of sunglasses in your car 

What would make traffic worse? Sitting in traffic with the sun blinding you. Always, always, always keep a pair of sunglasses in your car to protect your eyes.

Nap if you have to 

I have shamelessly pulled over to a Walmart parking lot to take a nap when I was getting too sleepy on the road. Please, please do not drive when you are sleepy. Once you feel yourself dozing off, find a safe place to pull over and rest until you feel more awake.

Phone a friend/loved one (hands free of course) 

When all fails, call a loved one or a friend to help you pass the time! Catch up, make plans, and spill some juicy secrets.

Sometimes having to sit through traffic is inevitable so you might as well make the best of it. Remember, always be safe when driving and you will eventually reach your destination, even if it might not feel like it.