A Kylie Jenner GoFundMe Page? Really?

To The Trolls Who Make Irrelevant Crowdsourcing Campaigns, Why Are You The Way You Are?

First it was Kim with the internet, and now its Kylie.

28
"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity... And I'm not so sure about the Universe." - Albert Einstein (maybe)

Forbes reported on July 11, 2018, that famous celebrity and social media influence, Kylie Jenner, is en route to be the youngest self-made billionaire ever. What a wonderful accomplishment to achieve. A young hard working woman invested in herself and the results have been nothing short of substantial. Congratulations Kylie! You have done wonderfully for yourself. She is said to be $100 million dollars shy of her milestone and social media, once again, reduces our faith in humanity.

A comedian, whom is very unfunny and won't be mentioned, "satirically" created a GoFundMe campaign for Kylie with a goal equal to the amount of her milestone. The description of the campaign reads "Kylie Jenner was on the cover of Forbes Magazine today for having a net worth of 900 million dollars, which is heartbreaking. I don't want to live in a world where Kylie Jenner doesn't have a billion dollars. WE MUST RAISE 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO HELP HER GET TO A BILLION, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT."

Of course, this is a joke, right?

No, it's not. Since its berth on July 11, 2018, the very same day that Forbes reported, it has been shared over 7,000 times on Facebook and received over $2000 dollars in donations in a span of two days. It will have probably accumulated more by the time this article is published and read.

Now before anyone wants to say "it's seriously a joke" and "you shouldn't criticize someone who worked to get where they are at." Stop trying to change the narrative. I am by no means criticizing Kylie at all. She has nothing to do with it in actuality. The problem lies in humanity and the monster that is social media.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture anyone about what they could really donate their money too and list all the problems that are going on that could use more attention than this subject. I don't care what you do with the money that you work to earn. The objective of this article is to show where humanity is headed. One woman joked on Twitter to say "Skipping my child support payments to help this fierce female become an iconic billionaire! I believe my daughters would support this if I were allowed contact with them!!!!" Now, this may have been a joke, but this joke is slowly becoming a harsh reality for humanity with every $5 donation that this campaign receives.

I'm all for a good joke, but how does a "joke" become a movement?