Know Your Self-Worth

Know Your Self-Worth

If it feels like a competition its not worth it.

59
Know Your Self-Worth

Self Worth: Noun. 1. The sense of one's own value or worth as a person; self-esteem; self-respect

Ever have someone tell you that you are insignificant to them? Someone who would make you feel so tiny you are practically invisible? Someone you have tried so hard to make happy only to feel like you have failed? Well here is a saying for you:

"I would swim oceans for people who wouldn't even cross a bridge for me."

This saying has been describing my life these past few days more than I would like. What am I going to do about it? End it before it makes me feel any worse about myself.

No one is worth giving up who you are to make them happy; not your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, friend, absolutely no one. If anyone is making you feel like you have to change who you are in order be worth their time I'm here to tell you they are not worth your time.

Your self-worth is more important than any relationship will ever be. You are the only person who can tell you what to be or how to act.

A perfect example of this would be a relationship I was in:

I have known this guy for quite some time now, maybe 4 or 5 years. We started out as friends who would see each other at gatherings and would talk and joke around about things. Yeah, there were some things that popped out in an iffy way but no one is perfect. Eventually, we got to the point where we were the first and last person we would talk to every day.

Now through out our friendship leading up to our relationship there were moments that should have been major red flags that this was a bad idea, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so, I ignored all the warning signs. The first few months were going great if we just had a few bumps in the road, right? Wrong, I was basically competing for his attention almost every day. I had to act like someone I wasn't. The last couple of months were the worst.

He started distancing himself from me and pointing out things he wanted me to change about myself things I "needed" to change. I remember I was talking to him about how my rib was hurting and making it hard to breathe and went on to explain to him what happened... his response was, "I have a slew of other problems that makes that well insignificant." It was in that moment I realized the relationship wasn't worth it anymore.

I had lost my self-worth and I needed to get it back. That's what you need to do. Get rid of that toxic relationship and focus on what you need.