why football players kneel during the pledge

Football Players Aren't Kneeling To 'Disrespect The Flag,' They're Kneeling Because People Are Being Killed

It seems like every day there is another unjustified police shooting against a minority. And that is exactly what the NFL players that kneel are trying to bring awareness to.

515
https://unsplash.com/photos/iWv-bGqUfao

If you have been watching the news this past football season, then you had to have heard about all the kneeling controversy. if you are confused or haven't heard about it don't worry, I will make it easy for you to understand. Back in 2016 Colin Kaepernick, a player for the San Francisco 49ers at the time, began to sit then eventually kneel, every time the National Anthem was sung. Once the media got ahold of this it was like a wildfire. Other teams and players that understood why Colin was doing it and began to do it too. It took off so much that even newscasters began to argue about it.

What the media, politicians, news crews, and some people in general don't understand is that these football players ARE NOT kneeling with intent to disrespect the American flag, the National Anthem, or our vets. They kneel to bring awareness to the growing issue of police brutality we have going on in our country. We all have to admit that lately the only things that have been in the news a lot are things about police shootings. Especially "accidental" killings against minorities.

Many of these protests started with the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson. But now they have escalated. It seems like every day there is another unjustified police shooting against a minority. And that is exactly what the NFL players that kneel are trying to bring awareness to. Since kneeling Colin Kaepernick was dropped by the 49ers and has literally been blackballed, no team has picked him up. Not because he isn't a good player, he is actually very good at football, but because the team knows that if they pick him up, Colin will kneel. And that will bring unwanted attention to said team.

Now that about two seasons have gone by and players are still kneeling, President Trump has gotten in on the commentary action. His comments have sparked more attention to these kneeling players and a lot of dislike towards them. Which is wrong, clearly people do not understand why the players are protesting. Although it seems like from these comments the NFL has decided to make a new rule about the National Anthem, whoever tries to kneel or sit will be heavily fined.

This new rule has brought on a lot more controversy. Although I believe Malcolm Jenkins from the Philadelphia Eagles said it best in his You Aren't Listening interview. He gave facts as to why players kneel, these were some of the facts,

Approximately 60% of people in prison are people of color. In 2018, almost 500 people have been killed by police thus far. The US population is made up of 8% African American males & now 25% of African American males have been shot and killed.

These were just a few of the facts. There are many more out there that are very outstanding. Start listening. It's not about disrespect, its about bringing awareness. I want you to keep those facts in mind the next time you see someone kneeling or sitting when the National Anthem is being played.