King Cake Festival: New Orleans' Newest Family Tradition

A quickly growing festival is on its way to the top.

140

It’s a time for family, a time for friends, and the kick off to our Mardi Gras holiday season I am speaking of course about the newest festival making its mark as a staple in New Orleans culture ... King Cake Festival.

With its 4th year of operation in 2017 the Oschner King Cake Festival is making a booming impact, in its first year gaining a remarkable turn out of around 12,000 people sampling King Cakes from many Bakeries all over the Louisiana and the Mississippi territory. The impact was very impressive to say the least considering the festival organizers projected an attendance level more in the 4,000 range for its debut.

See Also: Pics from the King Cake Festival

Perhaps it is its location of at iconic Mercedes Benz Superdome, where New Orleanians and beyond come to root and celebrate our home team games like the NFL Saints and NBA Pelicans. A beautifully designed open landscape outside that gives this festival goers a feeling of freedom to roam easily while not being submerged in the crowds. The live music entertainment, fun run and family friendly activities that await and costumes galore, there is plenty to experience here beyond just our favorite sweet treats and cakes.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

I recently spoke with Kathleen McCulla Director of Special Events, Ochsner Health Systems to tell us more about the event history, activities its rightful place in the New Orleans festival family. Kathleen loves what she does and gave me all the information I needed to give us insight into all things King Cake Festival.

“Since we began it was a matter of finding bakeries and vendors to participate,” Kathleen states. “ Now we have tons of submissions from Louisiana and even Mississippi coming to us directly.”

Kathleen also spoke about the amazing sponsors that they have obtained for King Cake Festival. The New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Pelicans, Smoothie King, French MarketCoffee and Gambit just to name a few.

With attendance growing each year bakeries work hard days up until the event to ensure supply is met for customer demand, another addition to the festival through the years is the Gladiator Rep Run and the family Fun Run.

The Gladiator Rep Run is 2.8 miles and includes nine unique workout stations with 25 reps at each, led by Ochsner Fitness Center instructors. The fitness aspects of the rep run really fit with the Oschner health and fitness message, and its a nice way to start the day while also getting those early 5 free tasting tickets to get some delicious food and not having to wait in line right away for tasting tickets.

Kathleen informed me registration for both races is a one-time entry fee of $25 adults and $15 for kids in advance, or $30 adults $20 kids the day of the event. Registration also includes a bib number and T-shirt. The fun run is a unique activity in of itself as attendees dress in mardi gras style costumes, and families even decorate strollers.

Prizes are awarded to 1st overall and 1st youth male and female finishers of both races and also to groups with best costumes and best-decorated strollers. Some of the awards can include a year supply of free smoothie king and club level tickets to a 2017 Pelicans game. I don’t know about you, but that in itself is worth me pulling out the mardi gras costume and running in the beautiful surroundings of the super dome while getting the chance to eat some amazing treats, it’s a win-win.

But that's not all that awaits you. Music entertainment this year includes some local school bands as well as musical performances by: Remedy, Roddie Romero and the Hub City All-Stars, and local favorites Flow Tribe.

For families, do not forget to check out the Kids Game Zone, it has activities and games for all children to enjoy. There will be eight local art vendors, other food vendors will be on site offering alternative eats to king cake. The merchandise booth this year will feature a King Cake Festival 2017 poster with art by local artist and Oschner employee Jordan Wade.

Enhance your festival experience this year by purchasing the VIP ticket option ( while supplies last).

Tickets are $75 for adults and $20 for children. wristbands comes with access to open bar and food, restrooms, king cake judging samples, and front row viewing of King Cake Festival judging.

I asked Kathleen to give some tips for first-time festival goers, to which she replied“ Get there early, lines have been long in years past for tasting tickets and we anticipate long lines again in 2017. I have spoken to many hotels in the metro and allot of them state each year that tourists guests fly in exclusively for our festival, we are growing, and you do not want to miss out on your favorite king cakes, some years the bakeries have run out of supply during the festival.”

• The King Cake festival is Sunday, January 29th 10:00am to 4:00pm, admission is free.
  • Please visit www.kingcakefestival.org for pricing information on VIP, Kid’s Passes, tasting tickets, race registration and more.

Special thanks to Kathleen McCulla and Andy Cunningham, Oschner, as well as all of the King Cake Festival Volunteers.

I am Ryan McKern for the Odyssey Online, please re-post this article on your social media platforms, and I look forward to seeing you all at King Cake Festival 2017, save me a piece of Bavarian Cream Cheese King Cake.

Twitter: @ryanmckern

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ryanmckern