Killing Floor 2 Redux

Killing Floor 2 Redux

How does this game hold up after 6 months

30
In-Game Screenshot by Nvidia

It's still (even 6 months later) a bloody great time.

I have been playing Killing Floor 2 for several months in this point to count early access on Steam. Now that it's been out for a few months, we've seen two major, and free DLC updates. Tripewire has done it again with their tried and true formula involving their DLC. Every month or two they have an update which includes a map or two, and a handful of weapons. With the recent updates from when we actually started there are new dynamics between classes (Including the Berserker VLAD Nailgun, Medic Shotgun, and Firebug Incendiary Trench Gun.) Now weapons that are technically shotguns can all be used by support the Demolitionist M16/M203 can be used with Commando class. There are also new weapons: The Bonecrusher (a melee shiled and mace combo) The flare gun(s) (these are a killing floor 1 fan favorite), The Stoner 63 (the commandos LMG) and the cross compatible weaponry has added something new for all classes. Surprisingly, a lot has changed in-game. Next I'll cover the newer maps, there are 3 new maps, Nuked, Zed Landing, and The Descent. These all add their own unique twists to the game. Descent has a unique close quarters aspect. The map is actually layered, and is dynamic to each round change. Nuked takes place after the events of the first game, and give a glimpse to how the nuke dropped changes the environment. Zedd Landing has an active volcano, and many callbacks to Lost, Castaway. None of the new maps feel out of place. The new cross weapon system has added to the already high replay value.

Keeping it classy:

At this point in time I don't have any classes below level 5, in fact most of my classes are leveled up to about 10 at least, my highest being medic at 20, next highest my Demolitionist at 18. I have had the pleasure of playing Killing Floor 2 on the PS4 Pro. The Boost Mode in update 4.55 has made my game run more smoothly, and I find my load times being shorter than ever. I will do another follow up about 12 months into the games life. With that being said, I took advantage of the double XP weekends to level up my higher level, and lower level class. My next goal is to get my Demo up to 20- and my medic to 25. My point being, almost 6 months into the game- I am still not a master at all classes. There is more free DLC set to drop soon, and I look forward to the new additions the the games arsenal.

Difficulties:

I usually play on hard, which has proven very difficult even for my higher level classes, and normal seems to be the right balance of difficulty for most of my classes. For a real challenge I have even tried suicidal difficulty, and I have only beaten that once. I've never even attempted hell on earth. Also, the two bosses are the Patriarch- I will say, the lack of variety on bosses are kind of a turn off- but not game-breaking by any means. The first game only featured one boss - so having double the options is great. They both fit in really well- and are random, so you might have to switch up your tactics at the end of the rounds. I digress, which brings me to something I missed in my first review, was the versus mode. This is a unique challenge that changes the PVE into a PVP game. The player controlled Zedds can be a nightmare as they have erratic behaviors and movement patterns. I recommend this mode for someone with a full team which can communicate. Overall, even after playing this game for months, I still love it. You can pick up Killing Floor 2 for $39.99 on Steam and PS4. If you haven't tried it yet, now is as a good a time as ever to try it.