I Asked 4 Kids Aged 7-12 What Would Make Their Parents' Jobs Better, And Here's What They Think

Here's how kids perceive the adult world of working.

26
Photo by Yan Krukov on Pexels

Recently, while nannying, I took one of my kiddos to the dollar store. We ended up purchasing a Family Feud card game. Admittedly, I was pretty excited. I knew it was something new that could occupy the kids, I would get to be the host, and who doesn't love Family Feud?

We took the cards outside to play with the neighbors. Some of the questions aren't the most applicable to children, but the neighbor's nanny and I thought it would be interesting to still ask some of them.

The prompt was: "If you could change anything about your job, what would it be?"

We played with three girls ages 7, 9, and 12, and one 8 year old boy.

The answers we were looking for were:

1. Better Pay

2. Better Position

3. Better Hours

4. Better Boss

5. Better Location

The answers we received were:

1. "My dad's boss not being mean."

2. "More recess time."

3. "Being able to bring a pet with me."

4. "Different job."

5. "Making more money."

It was interesting to me and my friend to see what they thought of when we asked what would make their parents' jobs better. It felt like an insight into how children perceive the concept of work. Unfortunately, I don't think the youngest realizes recess stops long before your career begins. But they were definitely on the right track!

I have found through babysitting that children's minds are nothing like my own. I often find myself wondering what it must be like to lead a life where the worst thing that happens in a day is being "it" in hide-and-go-seek or losing a board game. I haven't yet decided if I'd prefer the stressful lifestyle of a college student or the chill days of a child where little things can cause a huge meltdown but blow over within the hour.