Kick Resolutions Out The Door And Set Your Goals

Leave resolutions in 2016.

17
Unread Today

Resolution (noun): A formal expression of opinion or intention; a determination or decision.

There is nothing wrong with setting resolutions, but despite our well-intentioned lists made at the beginning of every year, they usually end up half if not less than half fulfilled. It's not that all resolutions are outlandish or unrealistic. Work out three times a week? Lose 10 pounds? Make Dean's List? All reasonably achievable things for anyone.

So then what's the deal? Why are all of our resolutions a distant memory by March? Is it simply because there's so much negativity tied with the word "resolution"? Honestly, I stopped setting them for myself, because it's almost like you're expected to drop them altogether or leave your list incomplete. And then there's always some kind of negative rhetoric swirling around that relying on a new year to change something in your life is a crutch.

Just a friendly reminder: it's not.

You change anything you want in your life on your terms. If you feel that the symbolism of a new year is right for you, then go right ahead and hit the reset button on January first. If you decide to change the course of your life on a random Tuesday in the middle of March, by all means. There's no expiration date, deadline, or the right time to change. I mean, when you think about it, you change every single day, whether you notice it or not.

I think the thing to remember is that change can't always be a drastic, sudden thing. Don't expect drastic life changes the second the clock hits midnight on New Year's Eve. You can, however, try to maintain a drastic change in attitude. Tell yourself, "I will commit to my goals. I will remember why I made them, and I will always remember why they are important to me. It will take time, but it will be worth the wait."

That's another thing--don't think of them as resolutions anymore but as goals. Why? Think of it like sports. To make any goal in sports, to score any points and get one step closer to winning the game, you've got to fight like hell for it. It's not a linear journey; there's a lot of backtracking and looping around. There's re-strategizing, there's improvisation. There's blood, sweat, and tears, but that's inevitable. It's all part of the game.

It's all part of life.

So for 2017, kick your resolutions. Set your goals.