Khalid’s ‘American Teen’ Perfectly Describes Youth

An album that is both catchy and relatable.

6104

Only recently, I discovered the artist Khalid. After weeks of my friend telling me to check out his album, I finally did. As I listened, I understood what the hype was all about. His album American Teen is perfect for college, and even high school students to relate to. The lyrics speak the truth, and almost everyone can relate to at least one of his songs. The beats are extremely catchy, and the soulfulness of Khalid’s voice fits perfectly with each and every song.

1. American Teen

This song perfectly describes the temporary nature of youth. This song is the title track which opens the album. It begins with a beeping alarm, and then opens with the lyrics: Living the good life full of goodbyes, meaning everything as a teenager is temporary. The lyric: But I've been waiting all year to get the hell up out of here, describes how teenagers are excited to finally graduate, but it also shows how they often feel like they are in a dream, because of their lack of responsibilities.

Favorite lyric: So wake me up in the spring, While I'm high off my American dream.

2. Young Dumb & Broke

This song describes the outlook a lot of teenagers have on life. The phrase young dumb and broke, describes how adolescents often use the excuse that they were “young and dumb” when they make impulsive decisions. Even though it specifically refers to high school students, it definitely refers to college students as well.

Favorite lyric: What's fun about commitment? When we have our life to live.

3. Location

Khalid describes this song as a “ a story of young love. The kind of love that you would travel all over the country to find,” and it certainly is. The phrase "Send me your location" is an ode to the digital era, because now people send their location to each other more than ever. This idea of technology and love coming together is also shown in the lyric: I don't wanna fall in love off of subtweets, so let's get personal. This song is definitely catchy, and the lyrics are some to keep an ear out for.

Favorite lyric: I don't wanna fall in love off of subtweets, so let's get personal.

4. Therapy

If you have ever been in a toxic relationship, listen to this song. Khalid compares the girl he loves to “drugs,” but also says she is his “therapy,” which helps him cope. He says that he is not one for relationships, but he still wants to be with her. This situation could describe how a lot of teenagers, especially college students look at relationships, making it very relatable.

Favorite lyric: Something that you're doing has me falling all the way, I'm tripping off your love and all the other drugs we taking.

5. Let’s Go

Perfect for summer road trips, and another one of my favorites off of American Teen. This song is similar to Young Dumb & Broke, and American Teen, because it highlights the freedoms of youth, while emphasizing how you should just go wherever the world takes you. It also describes the summer after graduation in which you have no obligations or worries.

Favorite lyrics: Pick up your worries and throw them out the window.

6. Winter

If you’ve ever had a summer fling, listen to this song. Khalid creates a contrast between summer and winter, and day and night. After falling in love over the summer, he deals with heartbreak and sadness when he realizes the romance was only temporary. Winter also illustrates unrequited love, in which one person is more emotionally invested in the relationship than the other.

Favorite lyric: But the days get harder in November, love grows colder in the winter.

Everyone should listen to this album. Even if you’re not an R&B fan, American Teen perfectly encapsulates every aspect of youth. It’s highly relatable, so give it a listen, and you'll see why.